Warwick Uni contributes £520 million to local economy

Not just an academic institution…

An independent study has revealed that Warwick University contributes a staggering £520 million to the West Midlands economy.

£306 million of this is a result of direct expenditure from the university, whilst the reminder comes from the spending of staff and students. The university further supports around 15,500 jobs across the region.

On a less quantitative stance, Warwick’s research, innovation and engagement with local businesses provide further assistance, whilst Professor Nigel Thrift added that “it is the extraordinary wealth of people all working, studying and thinking at the University of Warwick that is our biggest contribution to the region and to local communities.”

Unsurprisingly, a contributing factor to the university’s substantial economic contribution is the Warwick Arts Centre, who solely contributes an estimate of £27.7 million to the local economy, whilst approximately 2,500 Warwick Volunteers students take time to improve the social aspects of the region, working on a range of community projects throughout Warwickshire and Coventry.

Looks like the third best uni under 50 years of age will continue to contribute more than just excellent graduate job prospects…