It’s no wonder Chelmsford is officially ‘one of the best places to live in Britain’

We have a lot more to offer than dodgy tans, fake eyelashes and vajazzles

Essex is renowned for TV programme TOWIE. Love or hate it, as the capital of Essex, there’s no denying Chelmsford has its fair share of ‘Fusey’ wannabes. However, Chelmsford has a lot more to offer than dodgy tans, fake eyelashes and the vajazzle. Home of V festival (winner of UKs best festival), there’s multiple reasons why Beyoncé and Justin Bieber have landed their helicopters in the city of Chelmsford. Ask any of the Chelmsford locals and they’ll all tell you how much they love living here and why would they want to live anywhere else. So what is it that makes Chelmsford so great?

We’re officially a City (unlucky Colchester)

In 2012, as part of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, Chelmsford was officially named a city, making it the first city in Essex. Unlucky Colchester, even if you are the oldest recorded town in England, better luck next time. Besides who could blame Queenie for choosing Chelmsford, we are the birth place of radio after all.

We’re not all dumb

Chelmsford has not one but two high performing grammar schools, with the girls’ school ranked in the top 10 grammar schools in England. And you thought Essex girls were all ditzy. We even have our own university, Anglia Ruskin. OK it’s ranked 110th in England but it’s still there!

Celebrities love us

Not to mention a whole host of celebrities that come to our city every year for the Nationwide Famous V Festival. Even A-lister Brad Pitt has spent the night at a hotel in Chelmsford whilst filming in the area!  We also breed own celebrities; Olly Murs from Witham and Joe Thomas (you know geeky Simon from the Inbetweeners) being born in Chelmsford. Plus, whilst walking round Chelmsford you’re never more than a mile from a member of the TOWIE cast, if we want to call them celebrities, we do! However, not even many of the locals know this. The Pixie Lott visits our city regularly as her and family run the local Italia Conti Associate School at Boswells School. She said: “We are delighted to use the excellent facilities of The Boswells School, Burham Road, Chelmsford, Essex”.

London is just a short journey away

If you come visit Chelmsford and fancy a day trip in London that’s not a problem with our strong transport links, in under 40 minutes on the train you’ll be in central London (although we know you’ll soon come crawling back as Chelmsford is really a mini version of London, just without the pricey drinks). All the super cool trends from London soon spread the short distance to Chelmsford; you only have to walk into Bar and Beyond and you’re teleported into Shoreditch. Anyway, who could forget the “ice bar” in Evoke?

‘Shaaaaaaat Uppppppp’

As proud Essexers we are most easily recognisable by our strong Essex accents Those who have moved out of the area will soon get used to “Where you from?” “Essex” “Yeah thought so”. But we don’t mind we wear our fake tans with pride and will often be heard shouting “shaaaat upppp” when in disbelief or a personal favourite “ohhh ma Goooood”.

THE Saturday Night Hotpot

Missoula, the club you love to hate, every city has one but ours is extra special; restaurant by day, home of the Essex elite by night. Every Friday and Saturday, not only Chelmsford locals but Essex wannabe’s from all over the country, prepare for the night ahead. Girls get on their shortest, tightest dress, fake tan their ghost like skin and of course contour to perfection whilst the boys can often be seen gelling hair back into the perfect quiff, ironing their tightest shirts (we don’t work out not to show it off) and hoarding in front of a football match cradling their fosters tinny.

After prinks (pre drinks, if you don’t know that what rock have you been hiding under) these prime Essex specimens take to Chelmsford streets often starting with Jaegarbombs in Lloyds (RIP).  Before moving on to dance to cheesy music whilst shouting “BANGERRRRRRR”. Important part of the night is to get papped – you know paparazzi. OK it maybe the guy with a camera who seems to want to get in our pictures more than he wants to take them but they all count.

Whilst some locals pretend not to like Missoula, don’t be fooled, they too will be found there every weekend. There’s a reason why those who rivalled it don’t last long (Miya, Candy, Chicago’s, Yates, we could go on and on ….).

Mr Rams and Mrs Cod

You can’t be a Chelmsford local and not have been to Mr Rams and Mrs Cod.  No doubt they’ll have satisfied your drunk kebab cravings especially when the local McDonalds can be seen with a que out the door and its very own security team. Besides what more could you want; a kebab shop one side and fish and chips next door. Forget Beyonce and Jay-Z this couple are the real celebs.

And we know you’re all jealous because EVERYONE in Essex knows or is related to one of the TOWIE cast (even if it is our ex boyfriends, dad’s cousins, barber).

Despite all this we still remain faithful to our Essex heritage.

With all this it’s no wonder the Sunday Times named Chelmsford as one of the best places to live in Britain.