UWE second year wins a brand-new Maserati and £10,000

Before this, the most he’d ever won was a Walkers Crisps competition

Second year economics student Lewis Richardson received the surprise of a lifetime this morning, when he learned he’d won a brand new Maserati and £10,000 cash.

Lewis bought three tickets for a Best of the Best (BOTB) competition, attempting to win either an Audi, a BMW or a Maserati but expecting nothing to come of it.

So he was amazed when the BOTB team arrived at his door this morning to say he’d won the car and money as well as a year’s free fuel. Having contacted his girlfriend through Facebook, BOTB arranged for Lewis to be surprised with his dream car outside his house in Bristol.

Arriving at Lewis’s house

He can either accept the £63,000 car and the £10,000 or take the money and 80 per cent of the car’s value (£50,400)- a few big nights in Pams right there.

A triumphant Lewis

The 400 bhp machine

The Tab spoke to Lewis to find out more.

Firstly congratulations Lewis, so how long ago did you enter the competition?

A week ago maybe not even that, a week to five days ago I suppose.

He’s had worse days

And how are you feeling now that you’ve won?

Just ecstatic, totally gobsmacked, I still haven’t really processed what’s going on.

Lewis Hamilton eat your heart out

So, what’s the biggest thing you’ve ever won?

It might sound really stupid but probably a Walkers Crisps competition. I’ve never been anywhere near as lucky as this, it’s just surreal.

Do you know anyone that’s ever won anything this big? Anything that can even compare?

Not to this scale at all, this will be a good one to tell all my mates about. It seems like prizes like this are impossible to win but here I am.

Revealing the prize

What’s the first thing you’re going to do with the money?

Well, I need to decide what extra features to buy for the car, for example upgraded suspension and brakes, but I imagine I’ll be having a pretty amazing holiday this summer and be living in a nicer place next year. There are so many things you could do with it.

c.r.e.a.m.

Probably a big night out as well. Are you at all tempted to sell the car or take the money?

Not really, I might as well drive it using the year of free fuel, and being a huge petrolhead it would be so sad to see it go. I mean, it’s a Maserati, who wouldn’t want to drive that around for a year?

Tell us a bit about yourself.

So I’m 21 years old doing economics. Other than that you’ll usually find me down at the local climbing wall and I’ve been into cars for a while. Then I decided I’d play the BOTB game and here I am!

Finally, what’s your favourite thing about the car?

Surely it has to be the sound, it has a Ferrari engine so it’s going to sound absolutely amazing. What more could I want?