We asked girls why is it really cringe when boys take selfies

‘They’re asking to be ripped into’

Girls talk and when we do, there is a lot of boy-orientated conversation (beyond cringeworthy). Whether it be telling our friend how broken-hearted we are that Elliot just liked another girl’s photo or how shit Harry was in bed last night – we share every detail. So when we see that the boy we matched on Tinder with has just posted yet another selfie on Instagram, why do we want to automatically throw up all over the shop?

Rhiannon, Journalism, first year

“Oh God, a selfie? Really? How embarrassing. Just don’t.”

Izzy, Photography, first year

“A boy who takes selfies is someone who’s sat at home asking on his group chat what shirt would look more ‘fresh’ on his lads holiday to Zante 2k16. I’m sure your half-faced selfies look great on Tinder.”

Lucy, Media Studies, second year

“If you are a boy and you take a selfie, then you are obviously asking to be absolutely ripped into. Boys and selfies are like the Kardashians, dumb and pointless.”

Alice, Fashion Textiles, first year

“If a man is taking a ‘selfie’ it indicates he’s 13. STOP.”

Selena, Media Studies, first year

“SO CRINGE! And also really feminine, it should work but for some reason it just doesn’t so please stop!”

Lucy, Illustration, first year

“A boy who takes selfies probably has a considerably smaller penis than your average macho man and to be honest, if a boy is taking selfies he’s definitely spending more time on his phone than looking at you – dangerous business.”

Lily, Graphic Design, first year

“Makes me cringe but i’m not sure why it’s seen as acceptable for women to do it and can’t be for men, I guess it’s just how our brains function.”

Amy, Mental Health Nursing, first year

“Personally, I don’t really see the difference between guys and girls taking selfies. It all kind of depends on how the picture is taken, certain pictures can make you look like an utter twat whereas, others don’t. For example, I’ve seen a guy upload a selfie in bed topless with the caption ‘I needed a new one for Tinder’.. What the actual fuck? Just don’t pal.”

These absolute babes have only reinforced the already well known opinion that (decent) girls can’t stand when boys take selfies.

We have been made aware one of the people we interviewed for this article originally gave a homophobic response. This has now been removed.