Fresher throws pool party in Brecon Court and floods his bathroom

Security called it a ‘monumentally stupid idea’

beacon Fun pool party UWE

An enterprising fresher threw a pool party in his bathroom on the fourth floor of Brecon Court before the water overflowed and leaked through the ceiling of the flat below.

Business Management first year Calum Whytock came up with the idea to fit an eight foot swimming pool in his bathroom last Friday after noticing an inflatable palm tree in the flat opposite.

“I saw the palm tree and thought ‘I can do better than that’,” he told The Tab.

“I then bought the pool for £20 on Amazon the next day and set it up in my bathroom.

“We just blew it up and filled it using the shower head – the whole thing took about two hours.”

Calum looking ecstatic. What could possibly go wrong?

He added: “We had to keep the bathroom door shut otherwise the fire alarm would have gone off but otherwise setting up was easy.”

Despite the unprecedented nature of the event, Calum didn’t draw up an exclusive guest list.

“I just invited people from my floor.

“I told them: ‘I’ve got a pool come along if you want’.”

After adding “all the stuff you need for a pool party” – ambient lighting, some beers and a few inflatable dinosaurs – Calum’s pool party was in full swing.

Ballin’

But the fresher decided to pull the plug on the event when he realised flat inspections were taking place the following morning.

“The pool was up for three hours but then I decided to take it down because of room inspections and it sort of flooded the floor,” Calum said.

Halls security then arrived after a resident in the flat below complained about water leaking through her bedroom light.

Fortunately for Calum, the security officers saw the funny side.

“Security were pretty amused.

“They asked what happened and I said ‘I had a pool party and it was a bit of a stupid idea’, and they said ‘yeah, it’s a monumentally stupid idea’.

“Then the female security officer started laughing so I knew then that I was off the hook.

“They weren’t even that angry – they said it was a first so I’m pretty proud of that.”

The inspection put a damper on things

Calum told us his inspection the day after went well, with the inspector saying his “room would have been exceptional if it wasn’t for the flooded floor.”

Calum’s daring innovation prompted messages from home friends at Cardiff and Southampton after his exploits were posted on the universities’ respective Facebook pages.

“All my friends asked me what the fuck is going on.

“They all thought it was mad.”

“I just got a pool and thought it’d be cool to have a party”

Having built a party reputation, Calum already has plans to make his next pool party bigger and better.

“I was thinking of putting my 50 inch TV by the door and watching some films, but then I also thought if we could get a DJ in my room that’d work pretty well.

“We could take out the bed for the day, and then take the door off its hinges and use it as a beer pong table.

“I’ve taken it off a couple of times before – it’s easy.”

After making light work of his bathroom, we hope Calum makes the next logical step and turns his flat into a full on waterpark.