Tributes pour in for UWE student Ellie Winters after unexpected death

Memorial being held by close friends and family tonight

Heart-wrenching tributes have been flooding in for third year Ellie Free who died unexpectedly last Friday. 

Ellie, 24, who was also known as Ellie Winters, has been described by friends and family as a “beautiful, vivacious, and outgoing” person, known to love clubbing, and enjoying life to the fullest.

Her family and friends are yet to be informed the cause of death and are choosing to focus on the amazing life Ellie lead and celebrate her life until they get the post-mortem results from the coroner.

This sudden death has affected many who were close with Ellie especially her brother Chris Hall and mother Liz. A memorial page has been set up on Facebook in her honour and friends and family members are planning to run a range of remembrance and fundraising events.

A fellow student at the university, Beth Ashton, said: “I hope from wherever you are now, you can see all the love that surrounded you at all times. I knew you from a young age and we were in touch not too long ago, still thought you were as cool as ever”.

Speaking about Ellie, Tessa Kaye, said: “Just amazing, beautiful, caring, funny and so clever. The world was your star. You could have done anything you wanted girl. I love you right to the moon and back”.

Aaron Bull, 27, said: “Such, such sad news. It still doesn’t feel real. So many memories over the years. From free partying, to talking robots. Smiling and laughing and raving like a soldier come rain or shine. A true character and a true friend. Gone but never forgotten mate. Sleep well”.

Tonight, more than 100 of Ellie’s close friends and family will gather in Queens Park to hold a memorial in her honour. They will light Chinese lanterns in her name and then move on to the Regent Hotel to pay tribute to her and the life she led.