These guys have a worse landlord than you

There’s mould everywhere

When you’re not living in halls, it’s time to enter the real world.

A world filled with confusing bills to split between you and your housemates, and landlords that are absolute dicks.

Dealing with them is a permanent nightmare. But these guys might just have the worst landlord yet.

The first thing you notice when you enter the house of Seb and his two mates, Sam and Lewis, located only a few streets away from St Andrew’s Park, is the damp. The air is heavy with it.

Lewis had to throw out his favourite shoes

Sam, a first year music student, said: “I have asthma and the house is really getting to my chest.”

Not helping the matter is that when they moved in, the boiler was completely broken.

Seb, also a first year music student, said: “It took us three weeks to get hold of the landlord about the boiler.

“We asked her for her e-mail address but she said her servers were down.

“They’ve been down since July. My servers are down just sounds like a made up thing.”

The unpleasant condition of the house eventually created a serious health issue for the boys: a mould infestation.

This is what their sofa looks like

Not your normal household mould in the corner of the room by the way: the situation is so bad a number of the boy’s possessions have become mouldy.

These include hats, shoes – Lewis said: “They were Fred Perrys” – their bedding and even a sofa.

Sam said: “We’ve threatened to tell environmental health but she still will not answer her phone or reply to our texts.

“It’s been a couple of months and we haven’t heard anything. Its becoming a real hassle.

“I don’t care how she does it, I just want it sorted out.”

Fairly sure stuff is growing on this shoe

If this health hazard isn’t bad enough, their elusive landlord even went so far as to make the boys commit a (petty) crime shortly after moving in.

Seb said: “There was a mattress in our hallway when we moved in. It was there for a month.

“We managed to get the landlord to come round because the boiler was broken and we asked her what we should do with it.

“She made us put it into the neighbour’s front garden. The woman whose house it was came out and the landlord said to us: ‘Don’t listen to her she’s just a stupid old woman.’

“We felt real bad about it, but she’s our landlord so we felt like we had no choice.”

Not putting that on my head

Tab tips for dealing with nightmare landlords

1. Write a strongly worded email (or, if their servers are down, spray paint your complaint on the front of the house and text them a picture).

2. Rather than compiling a list of damaged items, push them through the landlord’s letterbox.

3. Getting mould removed professionally is expensive, so do it yourself using fire.