UWE Jets Basketball Club: Don’t miss the chance to watch one of the most exciting teams on campus

An unbeaten league season, multiple National League players and a great BUCS spectator sport. There are only a few remaining chances to catch UWE Jets in action this year.

The 2013/14 1st Team

The 2013/14 1st Team

The 2013/14 Western 1A campaign is drawing to a close, but the remaining games will be significant in shaping the fate of the Jets season. Winning the league has qualified the 1st team for a home-and-away playoff fixture with University of East London in early May and the club would really appreciate some support for the home leg. In addition, the 2014 Varsity Series evening showcase game vs. Bristol University on March 19th is away this year.

Steve Devereux (Above) and leading scorer Aistis Keliauskas (Below) in action at the CFS this season

With back-to-back league wins, a place in the cup quarterfinals and a playoff for promotion to BUCS Premier on the horizon, things have been good for the club in the last two years. Jets 1st team coach Guy Coles (Bristol Academy Flyers) and Club President/1st team captain Steve Devereux both joined the university in 2011, with the aim of branding the club and turning it into an elite UWE sports programme. After a transition period in 2011/12, the past two BUCS seasons have demonstrated that the club is on the right track.

Coach Guy Coles leading the team during a timeout

Media coordinator and Jet’s Alumni Joel Osborne has done a great job creating promotion materials for the club. JetsTV is the YouTube channel where you can find highlights of every 1st team game, interviews and popular blooper videos such as Shaqtin-A-Fool. You’ll notice many highlights from top scorers and long-range specialists, fresher Aistis Keliauskas #13/5 and final year Mostapha AlFaki #25. A strong in-take of freshers like Jide Buckley and George Davis bolstered an already established core group of 1st teamers including Joe Hedges, Steve Devereux, Dom Charles and John Fajardo. With many final years on the roster, the club is hoping for another talented class of freshers in September 2014.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdW2CerVmg8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUvrkR48yeyx6M87r2Wy6Nhg[/youtube]

In addition to the Men’s 1st, the 2nd team under Geoff Chan’s leadership are still in the cup and having a respectable mid table season, whilst the Women’s team are unbeaten in their Western 2A conference. Coach Paul Mundy has turned the Women’s programme around and transformed a struggling UWE Women’s side into title challengers.

The 1st team’s tough playoff game is scheduled for early May  at the UWE Centre For Sport and all three  teams will be in action at Bristol Uni (Tyndall Avenue Sports Centre) in the Varsity Series on Wednesday March 19th.

All information regarding fixtures, results as well as any videos/highlights are posted on the UWE Jets Facebook page and Twitter account.