Trent is giving honorary degrees to Lenny Henry, Ed Balls and Carl Froch

They didn’t have to pay nine grand a year

Whilst thousands of NTU students will be going up on stage at the Royal Concert Hall to receive their certificates at their graduation ceremony this week, a few special guests will also be in the spotlight.

Today, the university has announced that the likes of Forest footballer Viv Anderson MBE, who was also the first ever black footballer to play for England, four-time super-middleweight world champion boxer, Carl Froch, and comedian and Comic Relief co-founder, Sir Lenny Henry, will all be receiving honorary degrees throughout the week.

Carl Froch was born and raised in Notts

Carl Froch will receive his award today, Lenny Henry on Wednesday and Viv Anderson on Friday.

Former Labour MP and Shadow Chancellor, Ed Balls, will receive an honorary degree from the University on Thursday, with Nottingham artist Wolfgang Buttress and Sky News presenter Stephen Dixon also in attendance to receive their degrees from NTU chancellor Kevin Cahill and Vice-Chancellor Professor Edward Peck.

Professor Peck told the Nottingham Post: “Those selected to receive these degrees all have strong links to our university, the city and county of which we are a part or they embody our core principles. In many cases they possess all three.

“We hope they will help to inspire this year’s graduates and future students and continue their relationship with NTU into the future.”