Sheep ‘high on cannabis’ could cause havoc in Swansea Valley

A councillor claimed they may have eaten cannabis plants growing near their field

Out-of-control sheep may have consumed the remains of a cannabis factory which was fly-tipped on a Swansea Valley Road, according to a local councillor.

County councillor Ioan Richard said the animals were already causing problems in Craig Cefn Parc.

The Mawr ward councillor said the cannabis remains had been seen by cross roads above Salem Chapel near Rhydypandy.

He told the South Wales Evening Post: “There is already a flock of sheep roaming the village causing a nuisance. They are getting in people’s gardens and one even entered a bungalow and left a mess in the bedroom.

“I dread to think what will happen if they eat what could well be cannabis plants – we could have an outbreak out of psychotic sheep rampaging through the village.”

shp He added: “I told the council officers to make sure it was reported to the police before removing any evidence of what looks like the dumped remains of a cannabis growing establishment.”

A spokesman for Swansea Council said the matter had been dealt with.

He added: “We made the police aware of this incident as soon as it was reported and arranged a site visit together. The fly-tipped waste has now been removed, but we’d urge anyone with information about who may be responsible to contact either ourselves or South Wales Police.

“Fly-tipping has a negative impact on local communities, so we’re doing all we can to both prevent it and clean up as quickly as possible at known hot spots. We also investigate all cases of fly-tipping and will take enforcement action if there’s sufficient evidence.”