Kathleen Stock has quit her job as a lecturer at the University of Sussex

‘This has been a very difficult few years,’ Stock said

Professor Kathleen Stock has quit her position as a philosophy lecturer at the University of Sussex.

Stock tweeted, “this has been a very difficult few years,” while Vice Chancellor Adam Tickell thanked her for her service to the university.

Stock has been the subject of protests by the Anti Terf Sussex group, who held protests on campus calling for her dismissal. Stock has always denied the claims that she is transphobic.

Stock took to Twitter after she announced she was to no longer teach at the uni. “Sad to announce I’m leaving Sussex Uni,” she wrote. “This has been a very difficult few years, but the leadership’s approach more recently has been admirable and decent.

“I hope that other institutions in similar situations can learn from this.”

Vice Chancellor Adam Tickell informed students of the news via email earlier today. “We had hoped that Professor Stock would feel able to return to work, and we would have supported her to do so,” Tickell wrote. “She has decided that recent events have meant that this will not be possible, and we respect and understand that decision.  We will miss her many contributions, from which the University has benefited during her time here.”

“I would like to thank Professor Stock for her service during her time at Sussex, in which she has made so many vital contributions to the field of philosophy, and to the university.”

Related storied recommended by this writer:

LGBTQ+ Soc says University of ‘doesn’t care about trans students’

Kathleen Stock hits back at ‘intimidation’ and ‘aggression’ after Anti Terf Sussex protest

Adam Tickell steps down as University of Sussex Vice-Chancellor