LGBTQ+ Soc says University of Sussex ‘doesn’t care about trans students’

‘We continue to strive for ever-greater equality for trans and non-binary students and staff,’ Sussex Uni says

LGBTQ+ Soc has slammed the University of Sussex, claiming it doesn’t support members of the Trans community.

Sussex LGBTQ+ Soc said: “@SussexUni still haven’t contacted us in any way. We haven’t been sent any resources or details on support the uni is offering.

“We first tried to get attention about this last Friday – it’s now been several days, and its clear the university simply does not care about giving support to its trans and non-binary students.”

This comes in response to a statement from the university released this week regarding views on LGBTQ+ support across the university’s community.

The university wrote: “We care deeply about getting this balance right. There are a range of very strong views and opinions held across the university on a whole variety of issues and topics, including how we support our trans and non-binary community particularly at this time.”

Sussex LGBTQ+ Soc posted that the recent emails sent out by the university regarding the ongoing discussion don’t have links to specialised support for the trans and non-binary community, but to the university’s general “health, support and wellbeing” page and under information for trans students, it directs them to the LGBTQ+ society for support.

This discussion comes amid allegations by protest group Anti Terf Sussex against Philosophy Professor Kathleen Stock for holding alleged “transphobic” views. Stock has always denied the claims that she is transphobic.

The university has spoken out several times over “bullying” and “harassment” of staff since these protests began last week.

A spokesperson for the University of Sussex said: “We understand that the events of the past week have been challenging for some members of our community and we have published a new web page bringing together all the support available to them.

“Via our Inclusive Sussex strategy,  For example, in recent years, we were among the first universities in the UK to introduce all-gender toilets, simplified the process for students to change their name on University systems and introduced a Transitioning at Work policy for staff.”

Links to support groups for anyone affected by these events: The Tribe: Wellness Community, Navigate – Brighton, Spectra.