Your ultimate guide to spending Valentine’s Day in lockdown

Valentine’s day during lockdown doesn’t have to be boring

There are two types of people in this world – those who look forward to Valentine’s Day and those who don’t. Whilst celebrating this festival during lockdown can be a relief for some – no need to find a date or dress up in fancy clothes – others miss out on the simple pleasures of going out for a meal with their loved ones.

Wherever you are and whoever you are spending lockdown with, we’ve got tons of ideas to help you enjoy February 14th this year.

Takeaway for one, two or more

Valentine’s Day warrants a treat: ordering from your local takeout is a great way to support struggling local businesses. 

Supermarkets such as the Marks and Spencer ‘Plant Kitchen’ boast vegan heart shaped churros, Tesco’s, Co-op and Aldi have introduced Valentine’s themed meal deals, with a plentiful amount of options including heart shaped pizzas, chicken nuggets and chocolate covered strawberries. 

Facetime dates

FaceTime and Zoom have quickly become a part of our daily lives, and can provides the perfect opportunity for a distanced Valentine’s date. Order each other takeaways and eat together on video calls, share stories and watch a film. You could even make it an opportunity for a group ‘date’ to catch up with those you haven’t seen in a while and let them you know you are thinking of them.

Sending gifts

Put together a little care package, for you or someone you love. Fill it with things postcards, digital art prints, Speciality Teas, their favourite snacks, sweets or chocolate, stationary, gift cards and candles. these are easily packaged into a small bag or box to post!

Lunchbox cakes are super on trend right now, being miniature cakes that are easily transportable as they fit into small food boxes, and are the sweetest way to show someone your affection or care. 

Rethink the festival

Valentine’s Day is fundamentally about showing your love or care for people, and this shouldn’t be restricted to romantic loves. Love can also be shared between family and friends. Valentine’s can be a day to show your parents or family you care, or making it a ‘Gal-entines’ or ‘Pal-entines’ with friends and roommates. This year, connections with people feel even more important, so rethink ‘Valentine’s and make it a day about sharing gifts and making time with those who are in your life.

Spa day 

Create a hamper for yourself with the likes of face masks, bath bombs and chocolates. Valentines should be a time to share with others, but you shouldn’t neglect yourself either.

Baking

The kitchen is the heart of the home, so why not get in the kitchen and be creative. Why not try to make a heart shaped cake to share with loved ones, heart shaped cookies or chocolate covered strawberries for the perfect love-filled treat?

Virtual cocktail night     

A cocktail-making session would no doubt go down well on Valentine’s, Galentine’s, or just about any get together of family and friends. Gather a selection of favourite cocktails; send a list of ingredients and the recipe to anyone involved and jump on a Zoom call to join a virtual cocktail-making session – it’s bound to make for a good evening.

However you choose to spend your day, make sure it’s filled with laughter, love and a whole lot of chocolate.