Plans for more than 150 students flats on London Road

The University of Sussex hasn’t taken out a ‘nomination agreement’ towards the development of student flats

There are now plans for 156 student flats to be built on London Road, Brighton despite major concerns about pollution. The former Marks and Spencer store is to be replaced with a five-story block and a retail space on the ground floor, leading to high levels of air pollution, according to clean air campaigner Adrian Hill who spoke to councillors on Wednesday 10th February.

According to Brighton and Hove News, the City Council’s Planning Committee have agreed for McLaren Property to build more student housing near the Aldi supermarket. As a cause of the large number of buses which stop along London Road, pollution is much higher than the legal limits.

Brighton and Hove News report Mr. Hill’s statement that “The area is in social deprivation because of the air quality and this will make it worse.” He follows on to say that it is “Brighton’s second-most polluted spot, 54 per cent over legal limits … it is no place to live and no place to worsen pollution.” Frances Marshall, McLaren’s air quality expert, reviewed an air quality assessment for the scheme and concluded that the scheme would have no impact on pollution.

Graffiti on the buildings in Providence Place.

Judi Lynn, a neighbour near Providence Place, explained that she supports the plan to build more student flats. Having more security and glass doors would improve the area. Many other people such as Joe Miller, the Conservative councillor explained that “providence place is not a nice area to walk past, anything would improve the area.” However, Bridget Fishleigh, an independent councillor voted against the plans. She explained that she doesn’t want other people’s children to be poisoned if the council air quality expert isn’t sure about whether the levels of nitrogen dioxide will lower to the legal limit.

The Argus reports that the University of Sussex has decided not to take out a ‘nomination agreement’ towards the development of flats among its students. Francine Hill, the university’s deputy director of estates, facilities and commercial Services said the location was “positive.” Students do however tend to raise the concern about the 25 bus capacity when travelling to both the Falmer and Moulsecoomb campuses during peak hours.

David Atherton, McLaren Properfect development director explained that: “This is a very pleasing result and one that will help deliver positive change to this part of the city.” This new development of student flats will change the look of the buildings that unfortunately have been used for anti-social behaviour and hopefully will be a good redevelopment for the local residents.