Brighton at real risk of going into Tier 2 as COVID cases grow amongst over 60s

Residents of Brighton have been warned that this is ‘not the year’ for Halloween parties

Councillor Sue Shanks, chairwoman of Brighton’s health and wellbeing board, stated that it is “sensible” for Brighton and Hove to start planing for things to progress into Tier 2.

This follows after a total of 441 positive cases were recorded in Brighton and Hove in the week leading up to October 23.  As well as Coldean and Moulsecoomb staying as the County’s coronavirus hotspots.

Within the past 24 hours, Sussex County recorded 212 new positive tests which was double last weeks report.

The majority of coronavirus cases have been reported amongst young people between the age brackets of 15 and 24. However, the most recent figures show an increase among all age groups, The Argus reports.

Brighton and Hove’s director of public health, Alistair Hill, said there had been a “steep rise” in cases among adults between 40 and 59, and a 27 per cent climb in the number of cases among people aged 60 and above.

The decision whether Brighton goes into Tier 2 or not is one made by central government. It will follow their consultation with the Local Outbreak Engagement board which is made up of city leaders, councillors and public health colleagues.

Councillor Sue Shanks added: “We do believe that we are very close to the thresholds whereby other regions have started to have those discussions with government which sees them then escalate to Tier 2. Covid is in our city and rates are growing. Covid kills people and we all need to do all we can to stop it and protect our most vulnerable communities.

“These include people who are already unwell, are elderly and the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities in the city. Please follow the guidelines and don’t take risks.”

Moving into Tier 2 would mean that you can no longer mix indoors with people outside of your bubble or household. Hill added: “The guidelines are inconvenient and difficult for all of us. But the only way we can stop Covid from spreading out of control in the city is for everyone to follow them closely.

“Reduce social contacts, maintain social distancing and keep to the rule of six, wash your hands regularly, wear a a face covering when in busy places (not just when required to do) and ask people you mix with to keep to the guidelines too.”

Hill also warned that this is not the year for Halloween parties, trick or treating or play dates. He suggested families celebrate Halloween by watching scary movies or cooking up a “fiendish feast.”