Officials warn that Brighton is at risk of moving to Tier 2 if cases keep increasing

It comes after 416 confirmed cases were reported last week in Brighton

Brighton and Hove is at risk of being moved into Tier 2, following Sussex County seeing dramatic increase in coronavirus cases.

There was 416 cases confirmed in Brighton and Hove between the 17th October and the 23rd October, an increase of 193 from the previous week making the coronavirus rate 143 per 100,000 people, above the UK average of 137.

Brighton and Hove’s director of public health Alistair Hill told the Argus: “In common with many areas in the South East, Brighton and Hove saw a high number of new cases reported over the weekend.

“A number of indicators inform the local alert level for an area, including the overall Covid-19 infection rate.

“We remain in tier one (medium alert), but if the trend continues upwards in this way we will be at risk of moving to tier two.

“The decision to escalate an area to tier two (high alert level) would be made by central government following consultation with the council.”

The city is currently in Tier 1 ‘medium’ risk, where the limitations allow you to meet with others outside of your household and support bubble as long as you follow the ‘rule of six’, and all hospitality must close at 10pm. A move to Tier 2 ‘high’ risk would mean no socialising outside of your household bubble. Students at Sussex had mixed opinions on staying in tier one, however many worried that a shift to tier two would mean they wouldn’t be able to go home for Christmas.

The majority of new cases are from people aged 15-24 years old and since September, 525 cases of coronavirus have been students and staff at the University of Brighton and the University of Sussex. On October 21, Sussex University had 102 cases of coronavirus within its community.

Mr Hill said: “Everyone must continue to do everything they can to stop the spread of Covid in our city. Please think Hands-Face-Space. We’re asking everyone to limit how many people they see in a day, maintain social distancing and keep to the rule of six.”