‘Teaching may be subject to change’ Pro Vice-Chancellor Kelly Coate warns students in email

Students are now expected to fill in a form if experiencing symptoms of COVID-19

This term, The University of Sussex plans to deliver a mixture of both online and in person teaching.

In the weekly email updates sent to Sussex students, Kelly Coate informed students that what they see on their timetable now is ‘subject to change’. The email states: “Given the situation with COVID-19, the mode of delivery may be subject to change but please be assured that we are continuing to monitor all Government guidance.”

The University of Sussex Students’ Union has since sent out an open letter calling for all teaching to be moved online – in the interest of  both staff and students. However the email sent this afternoon by Kelly Coate states that, as for now, teaching is going ahead as initially planned – in person and online.

In the same email sent by Kelly Coate there were further updates about cleaning, face covering, moving around University buildings and also a request for students to fill out a form if they are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus.

If students are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 they need to fill out a form and self-isolate, Coate states. She also informed students that the University is prepared to offer support to students who are self isolating.

In terms of cleaning and moving around campus, there are new rules set in place. In the email, Coate states: “You should not wait in corridors outside rooms and instead you must wait outside buildings until the start time of your class. There may also be designated socially distanced waiting areas that you will be able to identify from floor signage.”

The email explains that teaching rooms now have ‘adequate’ ventilation. Coates email states: “In rooms with air conditioning, systems have been set to bring in the maximum amount of outside air; in addition to this all filter systems have been changed.

“Some teaching areas are windowless, such as some lecture theatres, but they have air-handling systems that provide adequate ventilation – and whilst these ventilation systems may not always appear visible, they will provide adequate ventilation in accordance with strict Health and Safety requirements.”

In terms of teaching and social distancing, it’s explained in the email that all teaching areas have been set up to ensure social distancing and it is really important students don’t change desk layouts.

The University will continue to provide weekly updates and urges students to get in contact should they have any questions.