Exclusive: Sussex Uni reduces cheapest uni accommodation capacity by 50 per cent

It is the only one confirmed to have its capacity reduced so far

With the Autumn term beginning this month, The University of Sussex has introduced new measures to ensure safety amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes reducing Park Village student accommodation, the cheapest uni accommodation, to house half of the usual capacity.

A University of Sussex spokesperson said: “Students will form a social bubble with their new flatmates and so will not need to observe social distance rules with other members of their household.

“Some accommodation blocks will be used at 50% capacity to limit the number of students sharing bathrooms and kitchens.”

So far, the only accommodation that has been specified to be taking in a limited capacity is Park Village, which also happens to be the University of Sussex’s cheapest accommodation. Speaking to The Sussex Tab a spokesperson confirmed “It will include some areas of Park Village.”

Further measures that will be taken by the University for the forthcoming term are specified by a spokesperson as follows: “Sanitiser stations have been installed at the entrance of all residential buildings and enhanced cleaning will be carried out on all touch points in communal areas.

‘Two metre social distancing mats and signage will also be installed in all reception areas.

“Students will receive further guidance once they arrive on campus to remind them to follow government guidance, along with additional health and safety information on how to live happily together in their new accommodation.”