Revealed: Sussex uni library introduces new maximum capacity of 50 people in term one

For nearly 20,000 students

Over the past few months, The University of Sussex library has been preparing to let students back in to study.

Last week on an Instagram live from the Sussex library account, they announced the new measures they have put in place to make sure the library is socially distanced and safe for students.

They announced that there is currently space for 50 students to study in the library at once in the study cubicles on the first floor and the tables near the sofas.

All of the study spaces must be clear of students during 12:30pm-1:30pm so that they can be sanitised and cleaned during these regular intervals.

The Sussex Tab asked the library directly whether they will be operating the first and second floor as well or whether it will just be the ground floor. A spokesperson for the library confirmed that it is currently just the ground floor but they will keep students informed of any changes.

They have taped off the sofas and introduced a one way system around the ground floor of the library. They way students can now book their study space is through the Click and Study option on the library website.

Typically students could use the computers available at the library or borrow a chrome book, however due to new safety measures these have since been made unavailable for students to use. But, students can still print from the computers on the ground floor.

The library has requested students keep an eye on the website for updated information as they hope to expand the number of study spaces available soon.