Brighton Pride 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus

The celebrations have been postponed until 2021

Brighton Pride 2020 has become the latest event to called off due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The event was due to mark its 30th anniversary but organisers have been left with no choice but to postpone the event until 2021.

Organisers say the decision was made with a “heavy heart” and that they are “shocked and devastated by the unprecedented turn of events over the past weeks”.

They explain that “the potential of travel restrictions and social distancing guidelines to remain in place for an unknown length of time” means that they “cannot proceed with an event that attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city”.

Mariah Carey, The Pussycat Dolls and Bananarama were amongst the acts due to play at this year’s Pride festival event in Preston Park.

Anyone who has bought tickets for Pride 2020 will have them honoured at the rescheduled event in 2021, or have the option to donate the price of their ticket to the Brighton Rainbow fun, Pride Social Impact Fund and Pride Cultural Development Fund and be included in next year’s priority ticket booking.