Brighton Pride 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus

The celebrations have been postponed until 2021

Brighton Pride 2020 has become the latest event to called off due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

The event was due to mark its 30th anniversary but organisers have been left with no choice but to postpone the event until 2021.

Organisers say the decision was made with a “heavy heart” and that they are “shocked and devastated by the unprecedented turn of events over the past weeks”.

View this post on Instagram

It is with a heavy heart that Brighton & Hove Pride have taken the difficult decision to postpone our landmark 30th anniversary celebrations that were due to take place on 1st & 2nd August until 2021.⠀ ⠀ We are shocked and devastated by the unprecedented turn of events over the past weeks – especially the catastrophic health and economic impacts this pandemic is having on members of our community.⠀ ⠀ The decision to postpone has not been taken lightly and with many events still planning to go ahead in July and August we were hoping to wait until closer to the time to avoid disappointing our volunteers, community groups and the public, but after carefully monitoring the rapidly evolving Covid-19 pandemic and evaluating the ongoing risks and uncertainty, as well as the additional pressure any large event puts on the emergency services, we have taken the very difficult decision to postpone this year’s Pride FABULOSO Anniversary celebration.⠀ ⠀ We are currently in contact with artists who were due to perform this year with regard to rescheduling the dates for next year and will update further as soon as possible.⠀ ⠀ Existing tickets holders do not need to do anything – their tickets will be honoured and rolled over to the rescheduled event.⠀ ⠀ These are exceptional times and many local charities and community organisations rely on Pride for fundraising to get them through the year. We are appealing to ticket holders to donate their ticket to support Pride going forward and it’s essential community fundraising; as a thank you, they will have priority purchasing options in next year’s pre-release ticket sale. More details at Brighton-Pride.org ⠀ ⠀ We are devastated to have had to make this decision and as a small team we’d like to thank customers for their patience as we work through the ongoing challenges at this time.⠀ ⠀ We know, when the time is right, it will be even more important for people to come back together and celebrate our communities and City.⠀ ⠀ #WeStandTogether

A post shared by BrightonPrideOfficial (@brightonprideofficial) on

They explain that “the potential of travel restrictions and social distancing guidelines to remain in place for an unknown length of time” means that they “cannot proceed with an event that attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city”.

Mariah Carey, The Pussycat Dolls and Bananarama were amongst the acts due to play at this year’s Pride festival event in Preston Park.

Anyone who has bought tickets for Pride 2020 will have them honoured at the rescheduled event in 2021, or have the option to donate the price of their ticket to the Brighton Rainbow fun, Pride Social Impact Fund and Pride Cultural Development Fund and be included in next year’s priority ticket booking.