University of Sussex library to close indefinitely from Friday

A reopen date has not yet been set.

In an email today, the University of Sussex announced that they will be closing the library until further notice to help stop the spread of COVID-19. This follows the movement of in-person teaching to online and the cancellation of summer exams.

The library will still be open today and tomorrow from 8:30am – 7pm and on Friday from 8:30 – 5:30pm but will be closed from then on. Remote library services such as the online chat will still be available to help students, available from 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday.

This is particularly bad news for 3rd year students who are currently completing their dissertation, much of which requires in-depth research using library resources.

One final year student spoke to The Sussex Tab and said “I understand the measures and think it is necessary to help stop the spread of the virus. “As someone in the middle of writing my dissertation it is really stressful.”

“It doesn’t help that the university isn’t providing any information as to how I’m supposed to write a dissertation on a module I’ve had three weeks of teaching for, with no access to the library.”

The university is urging students to keep checking emails in order to stay updated with news and advice.