Sussex Sport cancels Varsity over coronavirus spread

All tickets will be refunded but the games will not be rescheduled

The University of Sussex has just announced on their instagram that they have been forced to cancel the upcoming Varsity sporting series to assist in limiting the spread of coronavirus. It was due to take place from the 18th to the 25th of March and included fixtures from rugby, football, netball, badminton, basketball, ultimate frisbee, American football, volleyball, cricket, tennis, hockey and lacrosse.

This comes after the university announced this morning that they were cancelling all classes and moving to online teaching as of next week.

The Sussex Activities Officer Becky Doran has stated that “it is such a shame we can’t finish the sporting season with another big win for Sussex but it’s something we can’t control.”

Players due to take part have described it as “absolutely devastating news”, however they “completely understand and respect the decision to cancel the event, and hope everyone is keeping safe”.

The USSU has assured ticket holders that all payments will be fully refunded withing the next 14 days.