Travellers returning from Italy to Brighton have been given no information about self-isolation

Many have not received information on self-isolation

Several people returning to Gatwick airport from Italy reported that they did not undergo any checks to determine if they had contracted coronavirus whilst being abroad.

As well as this, many have not received any information about self-isolating despite the government urging anyone that is returning from Italy to quarantine themselves.

Paolo Lauletta from Naples, 41, told the Argus : “My flight was about 60 per cent full” and Italians “are very scared the last couple of days” he then explained “I don’t know about self-isolation, because I have only been in Italy for the last five days.”

He continues “I wasn’t given any advice about self-isolating. My wife is picking me up to take me back to Brighton. We weren’t given any information on the plane or checked when we came off” and “It was very quiet in Naples. Lots of people wearing masks, about 80 percent of events were cancelled.”

Mariana Tessitore a Beauty salon owner, 28, who is also from Brighton explained: “It was very bad in Naples. I was there for one week” and “On the plane everything was normal. I don’t know if there are some controls here.” She stated “I’m feeling completely good, probably I will check with my GP to see what he suggests. Of course I would be willing to self-isolate, but nothing was said about it on the plane.”

Ms Tessitore explained that the advice passengers were given was to ” ‘wash your hands’ and ‘be careful’ – but nothing about self-isolation.”

She explained “My company said that maybe I’m allowed to work from home, and they said I could do that for fourteen days.” In regards to transport De Luca explained “I don’t really know how I’m getting home. They say you should avoid transport, but then should I take a taxi? It’s very expensive. Then if I take a bus, it’s the same thing as the train. The only thing I can wear is a mask.”

She stated “It’s not been clear enough. On the government website, it is written that everybody coming after March 9th should be isolated – but they don’t specify for how many days, so I don’t know.”