Here’s everything happening in Sussex One World Week

Get your global on

One World Week is here at Sussex from March 16th to March 221st. From festivals to film to lots of free food, here’s everything you don’t want to miss:

Monday 16th March

African Beats: Photography & Music Showcase

What? A whole 23 hours of African tunes, that’s Afrobeats, Afro-funk, Afro-jazz and so much more, brought to you by the Nigerian society. And if that’s not enough to get you going, an award-winning photography showcase by Micheal Tubes, featuring Africa’s biggest musicians. Come along for open mic, dance workshops and plenty more from the continent of the sun.

Where? Debating Chamber, Falmer House

When? Monday 16th March, 9 am – 8 pm and Tuesday 17th March, 9 am – 5 pm.

Sussex Abroad Shake Up

What? An opportunity for those interested in the study abroad programme or a summer school to chat to the students who did it last year. Even better, there will be drinks and snacks provided.

Where? Fulton 203

When? 2 pm

Desserts of the World

What? This one’s for the sweet-toothed: brought to you by the School of Psychology, students and staff can bring the desserts of their home country and talk about their significance, and sample dishes from around the globe. There are also some prizes up for grabs, so this one’s not to be missed.

Where? Pevensey 1 Foyer

When? 1 pm – 3 pm

The Network: One World Week edition

What? A special edition of the Network, which gives postgraduates and mature students the chance to get to know one another. In honour of One World Week, there will be an international potluck, so bring a dish from your home country to share! There will also be games, music, origami and more!

Where? Meeting House

When? 3 pm – 5 pm

Deaf Games: BSL workshop

What? Brought to you by British Sign Language society, there will be a variety of Deaf games, along with free pizza, refreshments and an opportunity for you to learn some BSL. This event is friendly welcome to everyone!

Where? Mandela Balcony, Falmer House

When? 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm

‘PAN! Our Music Odyssey’ screening

What? A screening of the acclaimed documentary ‘PAN! Our Music Odyssey’, which tells the story of the evolution of pan music, from its roots in 20th century Trinidad & Tobago, to the steel bands all over the world today. Come along and learn about the history of this beautiful instrument.

Where? Jubilee 144

When? 6 pm – 8 pm

STAR: One World Special

What? A multi-media event aiming to raise awareness and celebrate the contribution of refugees in our society. Brought to you by STAR (Student Action for Refugees) and Counterpoint Arts, there will be performances by singer/songwriter Haymanot Tesfa and poet/comedian Edin Suljic, as well as discussion and Q&A led by Paul Hutchings, the co-founder of Brighton-based organisation Refugee Support Europe. Entry is £3 cash donation on the door, and all funds will go towards STAR and Refugee Support Europe.

Where? Room 76

When? 7 pm – 10 pm

Tuesday 17th March

Snacks of the World

What? Sample delicious food from all over the world; be sure to get there early to avoid missing out!

Where? The Meeting House

When? 10 am – 12 pm

Oh Crêpe!

What? Brought to you by the French Society, there will be crêpes served in Falmer common room, with a variety of vegan and non-vegan toppings. This event is pay-as-you-feel, with all profits going towards a Brighton-based charity. What’s not to love?

Where? Falmer common room

When? 3:30 pm – 4:30 pm

African Beats panel

What? Following on from the African Beats extravaganza, Nigerian society will be hosting a panel discussing the history of African music, from its struggles to revival. Speakers include Tony Kalume, chairman at Diversity Lewes, ‘Deshola (WMC) and Quinton Scott from Strut Records.

Where? Debating Chamber, Falmer House

When? 5 pm -7 pm

Language Cafe

What? A One World Week special of language cafe, there will be the chance to learn a new language or brush up on your skills, as well as free pizza and an international themed quiz.

Where? Dine Central

When? 6 pm – 8 pm

Wednesday 18th March

Holi Colour Run

What? It’s back again- the annual colour run, hosted by University of Sussex Sport and Active US. Meet on Russell’s Clump for a non-competitive run, skip or walk around Stanmer Park and finish with the famous Holi celebrations in Library Square. Entry costs £5, which includes paint and a limited edition OWW t-shirt. Places are limited, so book via the online shop now!

Where? Russell’s Clump (by the stone sign)

When? 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm

Holi Festival

What? Want to get involved in Holi but don’t fancy the run? Come to Library Square to celebrate the festival of colours, marking the end of winter and beginning of spring. There will be classic Bollywood/Holi tunes, as well as food and drinks. Entry is free – just bring your student card!

Where? Library Square

When? 2 pm – 4 pm

Langar on Campus

What? Sikh society will be giving out free food in the name of Langar, promoting  the Sikh value of Vand Chakna, which aims to support the community by sharing wealth. Donations for charity will also be accepted on the day, and thr Sikh Welfare and Awareness Team will also be around to answer questions and celebrate our community on campus.

Where? Library Square

When? 2 pm – 4pm

International Cheese Fest

What? Cheese-lovers, this one’s for you. A celebration of all things cheese: there will be cheese tasting (including vegan alternatives), prizes, a cheese poetry competition, cheese raffle, making an animal figure out of cheese wax, and so much more. Entry is free, but be sure to register: tickets are available on Eventbrite, along with more information. You’d be e-damned to miss this one.

Where? Future Technologies Lab, Chichester I

When? 2 pm – 4:30 pm

How to Save the World the Fun Way!

What? Worried about the fate of the planet? You’re not alone. Come to this discussion about ways to tackle climate change – some of the solutions might even be fun!

Where? Global Resource Centre, C175

When? 3 pm – 4 pm

Speed Mates: OWW Edition

What? The Buddy Scheme bring you a chance to get to know some new people, and learn about their culture whilst you’re at it. The perfect way to celebrate diversity here at Sussex, and make some new mates as well.

Where? Northfield Bar

When? 4 pm – 6pm

Sussex Language Partner Exchange

What? An informal language event, open to staff, postgraduates and open course students who wish to practice languages together. A chance to brush up your language skills and meet new people (there will also be drinks and snacks).

Where? Sussex Centre for Language Studies (SCLS)

When? 5 pm – 6:30 pm

CineSussex: Monsieur Ibrahim et les Fleur du Coran

What? A screening of ‘Monsieur Ibrahim et les Fleur du Coran’, based on the life of Bruno Abraham Kremer. 2 Sussex International Student Ambassadors, Maria and Oyku, will introduce the film and hold a discussion after viewing.

Where? Fulton A

When? 5 pm – 8 pm

International Karaoke

What? Another exciting event hosted by the Buddy Scheme, there will be a karaoke night featuring songs from all around the world. Come to Northfield bar and join in the singing, or simply watch, the choice is yours.

Where? Northfield Bar

When? 6 pm – 8 pm

Thursday 19th March

Global Theology Cafe

What? A discussion of the question ‘Is global peace feasible or possible?’, followed by audience participation. There will be a panel of speakers presenting different faith perspectives, including the Anglican Lead Chaplain, Progressive Jewish Chaplain, Buddhist Chaplain and Islamic Society and SU officer for Society and Citizenship.

Where? Meeting House Quiet Room

When? 11 am – 12:30 pm

CineSussex: The Grizzlies

What? A screening of the 2018 Canadian sports drama, depicting the true story of a youth lacrosse team in Kugluktuk, Nunavut. The film will be introduced by International Student Ambassadors, Ella and Valentina, who will also hold a discussion after viewing.

Where? Jubilee 144

When? 5 pm – 7:30 pm

Decolonise Sussex: Benny Wenda, West Papua and 21st Century Colonialism

What? Chairman of The United Liberation Movement for West Papua, Benny Wenda, will be speaking about the ongoing struggle of West Papua, including the neglected genocide of its people and destruction of its land. He will tell his inspiring story of resilience, bravery and determination to resist oppression, brought to you by Decolonise Sussex.

Where? Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts

When? 5:45 pm – 8 pm

‘Change the Subject’ screening and Q&A

What? A viewing of the documentary ‘Change the Subject’ which features Dartmouth College students and their confrontation of anti-immigrant sentiment, which eventually took them to the halls of Congress.

Where? Jubilee Lecture Theatre

When? 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm

CReW present: One World Week Variety performance

What? A variety performance hosted by the Creative Writing Society in collaboration with various artistic societies across campus. There will be poetry, music, dance and much more! Entry is pay-as-you-feel, and applications for performance are still open!

Where? Room 76

When? 8 pm – 11 pm

Friday 20th March

Disruptive Library Tours

What? Sussex aims to be ‘disruptive by design’ – sign up to a library tour and learn about its hidden areas and collections, disorienting library design, and how Sussex is decolonising subject headings. There are multiple slots available, starting at 10 am, 11 am and 2 pm. Sign up here.

Where? The Library

When? 10 – 11 am, 11 am – 12 pm, and 2 pm – 3 pm

Maslenitsa Festival

What? The oldest of Slavic holidays, Maslenitsa is similar to Pancake day, except it lasts a whole week. Come along to learn about the customs of Maslenitsa with the Russian Speaking Society, and take part in some celebrations, including a pancake (or bliny) bar offering traditional Russian toppings as well as the universally beloved ones.

Where? Debating Chamber, Falmer House

When? 12 pm – 4 pm

CineSussex: Half of a Yellow Sun

What? A showing of the award-winning 2013 Anglo-Nigerian drama, based on the novel by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It follows the lives of twin sisters caught up in the Nigerian Civil War, swept up in the struggle to establish Biafra as an independent republic. International Student Ambassadors, Maria and Oyku, will introduce the film and hold a discussion afterwards.

Where? Silverstone SB 309

When? 5 pm – 8 pm

Caribbean Students Unite: Hidden Figures

What? A screening of the 2016 biographical drama film, Hidden Figures, hosted by Caribbean Students Unite. It follows the black female mathematicians working at NASA during the Space Race, and features Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Dorothy Vaughan and many more.

Where? Jubilee G22

When? 7 pm – 9 pm

UV Volleyball

What? In celebration of Active US’ most internationally-represented sport, Active US will be hosting three volleyball sessions, all in UV! Entry is £3, and every ticket holder will receive a limited editions OWW t-shirt, as well as plenty of UV paint. Book your tickets here.

Where? Sports Centre

When? 7:30 – 8:15 pm, 8:15 pm – 9:00 pm, 9:00 – 9:45 pm.

Friday Night Project: SASS Takeover

What? South Asian Students’ Society will be taking over Northfield bar for an evening of bhangra bangers, dancing and drinks. Entry is free, so why not come along?

Where? Northfield Bar

When? 8 pm – 11 pm

Saturday 21st March

World Cup Basketball Charity Tournament

What? A 3×3 World Cup-themed basketball tournament, brought to you by Women’s basketball. There are both competitive and fun tournaments, with some amazing prizes to be won. Entry is £10 per team (maximum 5 players, at least 2 girls per team), with all money going to Brighton-based charity, Voices in Exile. Spaces are limited, so sign up here.

Where? Sports Centre

When? 12 pm – 3 pm