Sussex Ranger’s ultimate guide to Valentine’s Day in Brighton

The student review site plans your day so you don’t have to

Sussex Ranger, are a team of four students who provide student-focused reviews of the best eats, nights out, pubs and cafés, in Brighton.

The team behind this new-blog-on-the-block, set up their Instagram page to layout all the best recommendations of where to go, with the aim of finding exciting new hotspots in Brighton, as well as reviewing all of the student staples. All the reviews on the page follow a range of criteria to improve comparability but are ultimately all subjective. The criteria includes the things students would typically look for in each place, like the price of food and drink, those all important student deals and even recommendations of who to take.

So who better to help plan and guide you through that all important decision making for the most overly-anticipated day of the year, Valentines Day.

A classic V-Day dinner date

Whether it's a blossoming romance, long-term relationship or just your mate you are celebrating the day with, you can't go wrong with a classic dinner date. Sussex Ranger have selected a few of the best places Brighton has to offer so you can wine and dine with your other half.

View this post on Instagram

THE COAL SHED [Restaurant] – Just off West street, this high-end grillhouse offers top quality steaks, meats and fish. Not one to head to on a whim, be aware the prices are very spenny but the quality of the food and the size of the portions make up for that. The atmosphere is relaxed and casual during the day, and can be romantic in the evening. At Sunday lunchtime they have a sharing roast at £20 per person, which we tried. The meat and gravy were superb but the 5 sides of trimmings really took the cake. – Cuisine – Grilled Meat and Fish Mains Price Range – £13.50-28 Cheapest Pint – £5 Wingtip ‘Captain’ Pilsner, £5.50 Hobo Cyder Cheapest Glass of Wine – £5.50 Red & White (175ml) Student Deals and Other Deals – BYO Wine Mondays Who to Take – Anniversary with your partner – RANGER RATING – 7/10

A post shared by Sussex Ranger (@sussexranger) on

The CoalShed offers top quality steaks, meat and fish. With a 'romantic atmosphere' in the evening, it seems fitting for Valentines Day. Sussex Ranger warns that the prices can be spenny, but that the quality and portion size make up for that.

View this post on Instagram

GIGGLING SQUID [Restaurant] – For any Thai food junkies this is you’re perfect dinner spot in Brighton’s lanes. Giggling Squid offers all the best fresh and authentic Thai dishes & tapas, along with a selection of cocktails and desserts. The restaurant is spread across 3 floors, so quite different from your typical restaurant, and we’d advise booking in advance as it can get pretty busy. We tried and would highly recommend the salt and pepper fried squid, vegetable spring rolls and prawn pad Thai for main. – Cuisine – Thai Mains price range – £10.50-£16.50 Cocktail price range – £6.95-£7.50 Booking – Would recommend calling & booking, better for smaller groups Who to take – A date to impress – RANGER RATING – 9.5/10

This small, intimate restaurant is the perfect setting for a romantic dinner date. With a great selection of cocktails, delicious Thai dishes and indulgent desserts, your Valentine will certainly be more than impressed by Giggling Squid.

V-Day on a student budget

One of Sussex Ranger's main aims is to review places based on value for money, listing the venue's cheapest drinks and food prices and deals. Valentines day has the potential to be an overly indulgent one, but there are plenty of cheaper options in Brighton that can still be a memorable night out.

View this post on Instagram

MEATliquor [Restaurant] – Just off London Road, this burger restaurant is known for its aesthetic decor and atmosphere. The portions are served on a communal metal platter for the whole group to pick off, not the most convenient method but interesting enough. You get what you pay for – steep prices for large portions and good taste, but the student discounts take the edge off. We had the ‘Dead Hippie’ Burger with sriracha fries and onion rings, and practically had to be rolled out the door. Not ideal for booze but do decent cocktails. – Cuisine – Burgers/American Mains Price Range – £6-9.50 (excluding chips) Cheapest Can – Stiegl Goldbraü 500ml £5.50 Cheapest Glass of Wine – £4.50 (125ml) Student Deals and Other Deals – Any burger fries and unlimited soda for £10 Monday- Friday 12-3pm. 25% off with Unidays Sunday-Thursday. Who to Take – House outing – RANGER RATING – 7.5/10

MeatLiquor is certainly a favourite amongst students, located in the student housing hotspot of London Road. With a Monday-Friday deal that gets you any burger, fries and unlimited soda for £10, the generous portion sizes and quirky interior makes for an unforgettable night that doesn't break the bank.

View this post on Instagram

SUSHIMANIA [Restaurant] – Tucked away in the centre of Brighton, Sushia Mania is any sushi lovers dream restaurant. Perfect for a cheeky date night or a treat house meal out, we went for the bottomless menu for £17.80 which was well worth the money and we would definitely recommend. With a 1 hour 45 minutes limit, you can eat as much as you possibly can from the menu which includes all the best sushi. Our favourite dishes were the Salmon and Avocado temaki, the prawn and chicken katsu and the gyu-beef grilled skewers which was cooked to perfection. – Cuisine – Japenese Sushi Price – ~£3.40 for 6 pieces (Maki) Cheapest Pint – £4.20 bottle of Asahi Deals – £17.80 Bottomless Menu, ½ Price Lunchtime and after 10pm Who to take – Date & Mates – RANGER RATING – 9/10

'All you can eat' is music to any student's ears, and SushiMania offers you just that. Whilst it's not necessary a cheap date, you certainly get your money's worth. If you and your Valentine are sushi lovers, then SushiMania is a must visit, offering a bottomless menu for just £17.80, so you are guaranteed to leave feeling satisfied.

A boozy 'Pal-entines' at the pub

Screw Valentines Day! Any excuse to head to the Pub for a few bevvies, am I right? Sussex Ranger know some of the best student hotspots for a cheeky pint (or two!).

View this post on Instagram

VILLAGE [Pub] – On Islingword Road this pub is a local for a lot of students, but it is definitely worth visiting if you live further away. Not the right place for a sesh, this pub is home to many an intellectual conversation and juicy gossip. You can relax with their vast selection of ales and their old and interesting decor. In terms of price, proximity and vibe it's hard to beat. In the day it also doubles as a café with an award winning brunch menu (we haven’t tried this). They also have a special Thai menu Mon-Sat. – Cheapest Pint – £3.80 Rotated Ales, £4.30 Amstel Mains Price Range – £6.45-7.95 Deals – Happy Hour 6-8pm, 10% Student Discount Who to take – That mate you haven’t seen for ages Closing time – Sun-Thurs 11pm, Fri & Sat 12am – RANGER RATING – 8.5/10

Very local for a lot of Brighton/Sussex students, this pub on Islingword Road is perfect for Valentines day, and its price, proximity and vibe is hard to beat. Head down during happy hour for 10% student discount too.

Known for its quiet atmosphere and charming beer garden, The Park Crescent Pub offers the perfect spot for good old fashioned conversation (and a few cheeky pints of course).

V-Day Brunch

Who said Valentines Day was all about romantic dinners? There is no better excuse for indulging in pancakes with allllll the toppings to satisfy your sweet (tooth) and get that all important breakfast layout pic for the gram to mark the occasion.

View this post on Instagram

NOWHERE MAN [Café] – If you’re in the mood for pancakes, there is no where better in Brighton than Nowhere Man. Truly one of Brighton’s best kept secrets, this hidden gem is tucked away at the back of Churchill Square. It’s fun, retro decor and interior created a cosy and homely vibe, serving bagels and hot drinks but the pancakes are really something special. It is reasonably priced and has considerably generous portion sizes, so perfect on a student budget. We wouldn’t recommend going in a group bigger than 4 people though because you won’t be able to sit together as there is very little seating area, but it’s size was part of it’s charm. – Price of Latte – £2.80 Price of Hot Chocolate – £2.70 Cuisine – American/Pancakes Food Price Range – £3-9 Flexibility – Vegan and Gluten Free options – RANGER RATING – 8/10

If you're looking to eat your hearts content in pancakes, look no further than Nowhere Man. Affordable and truly unbeatable, this is one of Brighton's best kept secrets and perfect for a Valentines Brunch.

Tucked away on the bus route to the Marina, Cafe Marmalade is a real 10/10. Not only being arguably one of the most aesthetic and instagrammable cafés in Brighton, but also offering the best selection of brunch, lunch and sweet treats, it's a must on this day of lurrrvv.

V-Day with your 'Galentines'

Who better to spend this day of love with than your gal pals. Sussex Ranger have reviewed some of the best spots to celebrate the day with your Galentines.

Gather your girl squad and head to one of the best cocktail bars Brighton has to offer. With £5.80 on selected cocktails on Friday, you won't get a better deal anywhere else. Plus, you can pick your own songs on the jukebox to get those girl power anthems going.

Quirky V-Day Alternatives

If you want to impress your date with your ability to find the coolest, quirkiest alternatives to a dinner date, look no further. Sussex Ranger doesn't just stop at food and drink, but also reviews cool hotspots in Brighton like crazy golf and comedy nights.

View this post on Instagram

GLOBALLS [Miscellaneous] With Valentines Day fast approaching Globalls is a great date option or fun to go with a group of friends. It is located in the Marina and made up of 2 indoor UV mini golf courses. We did the 12 hole Tropicana Course, there is also a Jurassic Course. For the most part the course is well laid out however it did get a bit congested towards the end. We would recommend booking in advance at busier times to avoid disappointment. The Tropicana course is wheelchair accessible (their website recommends phoning in advance for accessibility). The whole venue is colourful with big murals and sculptures all in UV paint throughout. – Price of a Game – £5.95 Hours – Mon-Thurs 12-10pm, Fri 12-11pm, Sat 10am-11pm, Sun 10am-10pm Who to take – Your Valentine – RANGER RATING 7/10

If Valentines is your first date, or you're looking for something fun and interactive to do with your date (or mates!) Globalls has you covered. The colourful UV venue gives you crazy golf, with a quirky twist.

View this post on Instagram

LUCKY VOICE KARAOKE [Miscellaneous] Are you a big fan of karaoke but don’t fancy singing to a room of strangers? Then this place is for you. Booking in advance you get a private room for you and your mates to sing your hearts out. A nifty piece of kit allows you to search for pretty much any song you could want from Angels to Vossi Bop to Hakuna Matata, and the lyrics will appear on screen as the music begins. At the touch of a button, you can have drinks delivered straight to you, or there is a cocktail bar downstairs. It’s a little on the pricey side but we would definitely recommend it! The booking price goes up the later you want to go and on weekends. We recommend not taking too many people as it means you get less singing time! Cheapest Drinks – £4.50 bottle of Corona or Chapel Down Curious Cider, £3.50 House Spirits Cocktail Price – All £8.50 Booking Price – £10-20 per person Slots Available – 18:00-00:00 (2 hour slots) 8-16 people Who to take? – Select friends for your birthday party RANGER RATING – 8.5/10

Lucky Voice Karaoke is one of the best alternatives to a traditional Valentines evening. Grab your dates, mates, galentines and ladentines for a night where you can sing the best love songs/breakup anthems till your hearts content.

Happy Valentines Day love birds x

Credit to: Rory Hinshelwood, Max Morris-Edwards and Zoe Taylor