Image may contain: Poster, Advertisement, Paper, Brochure, Flyer, People, Clothing, Shoe, Apparel, Footwear, Protest, Parade, Crowd, Person, Human

Confirmed: Sussex among unis which will be hit by four more weeks of strikes

Sussex will be one of the 74 universities affected by the industrial action

More industrial action will be taking place in February and March this year, as announced by the University and College Union today.

Sussex will be one of the 74 universities affected by the strikes, which will span the four week period from February 20th to the March 13th. Here are the official strike dates from the UCU:

Week one – Thursday 20 & Friday 21 February
Week two – Monday 24, Tuesday 25 & Wednesday 26 February
Week three – Monday 2, Tuesday 3, Wednesday 4 & Thursday 5 March
Week four – Monday 9, Tuesday 10, Wednesday 11, Thursday 12 & Friday 13 March

This period of industrial action follows an eight day walk out at 60 UK universities, Sussex included, across November and December in 2019. Many students at Sussex have been able to claim some compensation for the disruption caused last term.

The University of Sussex will be striking as a result of both the pay and conditions dispute and the USS pension dispute.

Jo Grady, the UCU general secretary, said "We have seen more members back strikes since the winter walkouts and this next wave of action will affect even more universities and students. If universities want to avoid further disruption they need to deal with rising pension costs, and address the problems over pay and conditions".