Image may contain: Downtown, Hotel, Apartment Building, Vehicle, Transportation, Automobile, Car, Urban, Town, City, High Rise, Building, Human, Person

A body has been found opposite Spoons on North Street

A murder enquiry has been launched

Brighton police have launched a murder enquiry after a man's body was found yesterday in a building on North street, opposite Wetherspoons.

Brighton police were called to the North Street building on Thursday afternoon due to concern for a man inside.

The man was found dead. The death is under investigation since being treated as unexplained.

Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with the death under suspicion of murder. The 18-year-old man is from Greenwich and the 16-year-old boy currently has no fixed address. The identity of the victim is currently unknown.

Multiple police were spotted at the scene of the crime last night and community support officers remain there this morning.

Signs of disturbance and debris have been spotted in and around the front entrance of the building which is opposite The Post and Telegraph Wetherspoons. The windows on the first floor are said to have been smashed.

Brighton police have said: "We have launched a murder investigation after a man’s body was discovered at a building in North Street, Brighton.

"As part of the investigation, officers are conducting enquiries in the city centre this morning (Friday 3 January).”

Chief Superintendent Nick May said: “We are at the early stages of an investigation to establish what has happened in this tragic incident.”

"An 18-year-old man and a 16-year-old boy have been arrested on suspicion of murder. They remain in police custody.

Witnesses of the incident are urged to get in touch with police on 101 or on the Sussex Police website quoting Operation Gatling.