Image may contain: Club, Rock Concert, Concert, Night Life, Crowd, Stage, Person, Human, Lighting

Sussex and Brighton Winter Ball evacuated after student smashes fire alarm

The entire hotel and all the guests had to be evacuated

On Sunday night, Sussex's Winter Ball was evacuated after a student smashed a fire alarm, The Sussex Tab can reveal.

The Winter Ball, organised by Brighton Rox, promised a winter wonderland experience, with a fully decorated venue, live band, street food stalls and beautiful backdrops for that perfect festive instagram shot.

Image may contain: Night Club, Party, Club, Human, Person

However, the night was cut short when one student decided to smash the fire alarm at around 12.30am, which led to the entire Hilton hotel, including hotel guests, being evacuated from the building.

Brighton Rox are now possibly being sued by the Hilton for over £1000 for the disturbance caused, as well as the venue threatening to ban the event from taking place there in future years.

Image may contain: Paper, Costume, Night Club, Club, Photo Booth, Human, Person

Speculation rose as students thought it was an intentional stunt to ensure that everyone left the venue on time. One student took to Sussex's Confession page 'SussFessions' to stir the pot, confirming that speculation was true.

Image may contain: Document, Page, Text

However, Rox responded confirming that this was indeed untrue, explaining the real reason behind the alarm evacuation.

Rox are working with the hotel to search CCTV footage to find the individual who did this, and a reward is being offered for anyone with any information that can help identify the individual.

Rox spoke exclusively to The Sussex Tab, to explain how they felt about the incident. They said: "After months of planning, time and tens of thousands of pounds out of our own pockets as well as working to build respectable reputation for the Hilton to trust us to run events with students at their establishment, it's such a shame that the actions of an individual can tarnish this so easily.

"We have a possible fine & bad reviews hanging over us and are also aware of the rumours regarding this being a deliberate thing done by us as event organisers. Thousands of pounds in hire and revenue were lost from cutting the event early, investment in staff, security and food providers were all lost as well as a result of the fire alarm.

"We have had incredible feedback once again about this years Winter Ball and appreciate all those with the common sense to understand that some things or actions of individuals are out of our control".

Anyone with any information is encouraged to come forward.

Photo credits to Lauren Mabbett