Image may contain: Photo, Photography, Portrait, Beard, Apparel, Clothing, Man, Human, Face, Person

Blood of Abdul Deghayes discovered in Elm Grove murder trial

Victim’s blood discovered in the car of the accused

Abdul Deghayes' blood has been discovered in the car of Daniel Macleod, a suspect who was charged for the Elm Grove murder that happened in February.

The drug dealer, who went on trial at Hove Crown Court this week, had the blood of Deghayes on his clothes and in his car. Stephen Burns, Macleod’s friend, joined him in court as he was accused of assisting the murder.

According to Adam Feest QC, Deghayes had gone to Elm Grove with friend, Colby Broderick, to buy drugs from “Frank.” “Frank’s” telephone line was run by Macleod and Burns, Mr Feest told jurors.

Macleod drove a dark Citroen which was near the scene of the crime, containing Deghayes blood. It was revealed in a later search that traces of Deghayes’ blood were found also on Macleod’s T-shirt.

Image may contain: Office Building, Path, Machine, Wheel, Architecture, Downtown, Town, Urban, Street, City, Building, Intersection, Tarmac, Asphalt, Automobile, Car, Transportation, Vehicle, Person, Human, Road

Mr Feest elaborated on the police investigation, telling jurors that “DNA from Abdul Deghayes could only have got into the Citroen as a result of the person who attacked him.”

He said that the accused will have been “blood stained” and brought traces of Deghayes blood into the car “at some stage after the attack.”

Properties linked to Macleod have been search, revealing £75,000 worth of cocaine and cannabis and £24,000 in cash at an address in Crawley.

Mr Burns, Macleod’s “drug dealing associate” had helped him to change clothes and cars in order to “avoid detection.”

Macleod, of Gypsy Road, Lambeth, has denied murder, claiming he acted in lawful self defence. Mr Burns, aged 55, of Lennox Street, Brighton, has denied assisting an offender.

Mr Feest told jurors, however, that Macleod had no injuries, whilst Deghayes had suffered defensive injuries to his hands. He claims that “Daniel Macleod acted with murderous intent.”

The trial will be continued.