A guide to getting cheap books in Brighton

Who wants to spend £70 on Shakespeare, anyway?

Hide Images

No matter what course you study, you'll have to spend a ridiculous amount of money on books for class.

Sussex Uni doesn't ever have enough copies of each book in the library, the bookshop on campus has shut down, and mainstream booksellers only offer limited discounts for students.

Of course, you can get second-hand books on Depop (yes, Depop isn't just for copping cheap Filas), GumTreem, and eBay- but those extortionate shipping fees are not what we want!

Some courses like English Literature demand you buy the complete works of Shakespeare for 70 pounds! However by using one of these bookshops you could get a cheap deal and cop it for way less.

So, we thought we would share our favourite cheap second-hand book shops in Brighton with all of you. Go forth and get those deals!

1. Books for Amnesty

15 Sydney Street, Brighton, BN1 4En

This vision in pink has such a beaut array of books, and by shopping here you are supporting Amnesty International! Most charity shops sell books for very reasonable prices, but the staff at Books for Amnesty have a genuine passion for the books that they sell.

2. Colin Page

36 Duke Street, Brighton, BN1 1AG

It looks a bit plain from the outside, however it is dreamland for bookworms on the inside. There are some stunning editions of old leather-bound books, and plenty of cheap second-hand ones downstairs.

3. Raining Books

28 Trafalgar Street, Brighton, BN1 4ED

It's Raining Books, Hallelujah! This quirky bookshop makes you feel like you have tumbled right into Wonderland. Although it isn't the biggest bookshop in the world, it is very fun to look around at the displays!

4. City Books

23 Western Road, Hove, BN3 1AF

City Books has been shortlisted twice for the national ‘Independent Bookshop of the Year Award’, and it is easy to tell why. The staff are lovely, customer-orientated, and knowledgeable, and they have an abundance of classics. Just go there,and you'll see it for yourself.

5. Poundland

27-31 London Road, Brighton, BN1 4LE

Believe it or not, the big Poundland on London Road does fantastic second-hand book deals for, you guessed it, a pound! A new book, bath bomb, and chocolates for three pounds in total? Perfect night in.

So there you go, our ultimate list of second-hand book shops in Brighton.

Not only are second-hand books cheaper, but they are also more environmentally friendly than buying new books. So go save some money, and save mother nature at the same time!