Sussex is the eighth best uni in the country for dealing with mental health

In the findings released in The Tab’s Mental Health Rankings 2017

In the latest results released by The Tab’s Mental Health Rankings 2017, Sussex is the eighth best university in the country for dealing with mental health.

The findings showed that Sussex spent £33.72 per student – with the national average at £22.06 – and £444.74 per applicant to the university’s services – the national average is £334.28. Only four universities in the country spent more than Sussex per student and eight universities spent more per applicant.

Now in its second year, The Tab’s Mental Health Ranking 2017 is the only study to assess UK universities’ ability to care for students with mental health issues. You can see the full rankings here.

The mental health services were also scored out of 40 for satisfaction and finance. Sussex’s finance score is 23.77 against the national average of 17.29 and 36.78 for satisfaction with a national average of 34.55. Sussex ranked 11th out of 47 for satisfaction.

When considering all of the data, Sussex ranked eighth out of 47.

The rankings look at information about the funding each university gives to its mental health service, how long students have to wait for those services, and how satisfied they were with it.

Over 9,000 student completed our mental health survey this year and with their help, The Tab aims to paint a clearer picture about what universities do with treating mental health.

Responding to the results, a University of Sussex spokesperson said:”We care about the wellbeing of all our students and we’re absolutely determined to continuously explore new ways to ensure that our students are supported throughout their time here.

“Mental health is an extremely important and complex issue. We’re proud of the work we’re doing with our campus community to place wellbeing at the heart of what we do. Our mental health ‘Time to Change’ working group is chaired by the Students’ Union Welfare Officer and includes academic researchers as well as clinical and other support staff.

“A big part is properly investing in expert resources on campus for students who need them – as well as working with our partners in the NHS and local service providers.

“Equally important is a proactive and creative approach to nurturing good mental health. Some of our most successful initiatives have come from staff and students working in partnership to promote positive wellbeing through activities such as sport, socialising, gardening, cultural exchange and a healthy work/study/life balance. These measures are often inexpensive but their huge benefits should not be under-estimated.”