Everything that’s on during the festive season in Brighton

Treat yourself; rent out an igloo

We’re already in the festive mood and these last two weeks left of the term are just an obstacle to get over. The Christmas lights are dazzling, the air smells of mince pies, and you’re downing mulled wine like a madman.

We dare you to dress up in your warmest puffer jacket, bobble hat and gloves because Brighton is calling. Here’s everything you Brightonians have to look forward to in your town this Christmas.

Ice skating, the Royal Pavilion 

Don’t be frosty, venture to the Royal Pavilion for the chance to skate on their rink. The ice rink – open until January 14 –  is offering the public one hour sessions over the festive season. Prices include £10 for adults or £7 for either under 12’s, students, or royal pavilion members.

Groups larger than 10 people are rewarded with 10 percent off.

Even better, after an energetic hour of skating, you can soak up the festivity in the Riverside Bar and kitchen next to the ice rink. The restaurant serves everything from vegan deli boards to sticky chicken burgers.

You’re in luck if ice-skating is your thing, as the royal pavilion also offers a multi-ticket, which includes unlimited skating opportunities Monday-Friday excluding the Christmas period of 18th December-1st January. The multi-ticket costs £52 for adults, however, this is always worth it if you make the most of it.

You can book online here or call 0844 858 6753.

The Big Christmas Sing-Along, Brighton Dome 

Brighton Dome is once again hosting The Choir with No Name, an organisation that runs choirs for homeless and marginalised people, for an evening of festive cheer. The event is taking place at 7:30 pm on December 15 and general tickets, costing £12, can be found here.

Last year the event was an enormous success as £4,558 was raised from ticket sales and a bucket collect. This money was split between the Brighton Dome, The Choir With No Name, and Brighton’s First Base Day Centre. So head down for an entertaining evening and don’t forget to donate in order to benefit those in need this Christmas.

Rent an igloo, Brighton Music Hall 

Drag 15 of your pals to Brighton Music Hall and hire out one of their 16 person igloos free of charge. Because let’s just face it; any gathering held in an igloo must be crazy.

Brighton Music Hall invites Brightonians to ‘drink, dine or dance’ in any of their ten igloos between November 30 and January 2. In the evenings, Brighton Music Hall is offering fully inclusive party packages with entertainment and from boxing day they’re open day and night until New Year’s day.

Hire an igloo here, it’s definitely one for the bucket list.

Burning the Clocks festival 

Join 2,000 others and take part in the burning the clocks parade in support of Same Sky, Brighton’s community art charity on December 21.

The event – established in 1994 – is a way of celebrating the festive season and involves members of the public carrying lanterns to burn on the beach as a token for the end of the year.

Participants are instructed to gather by New Road for a 6:30 pm leave, which will arrive at Madeira Drive at approximately 7.15pm. To involve yourself, buy one of the lantern kits on sale at the Wood Store (£28), Hisbe (£28) or the Royal Pavilion shop (£31).

If you’re interested, there’s even the opportunity to volunteer at the festival. All you need to do is email your name, home address and mobile number to [email protected]. You will be required to give up two and a half hours of your time on December 21 in order to ensure the safety of the public.

Click here for more information about attending the event and here to find out about volunteering.

Brighton Christmas Market, Jubilee Square 

Is it even the festive period without Brighton’s fantastic Christmas market? The market is returning to Brighton for the eighth year with 22 stalls in Jubilee square from November 17 to December 23.

This year, the Brightonian market will feature a Santa’s grotto and snow machines, as well as delicious stalls such as homemade ice-cream from Chopperwhoppers.

The Snow Queen Production, Brighton Dome

The Ballet Theatre UK are returning to Brighton Dome for the fifth time; this year with a production of the Snow Queen. The production will be a retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s festive fairy-tale ballet, the story that inspired Disney’s Frozen, and will take place at 2.30pm and 7.30pm on both December 29 and 30.

The most expensive tickets will be £19.50 whilst the most inexpensive will be £5, however, charges for under 16’s will be half price.

Grab your tickets before they sell out here. 

We’ve fully sorted you out Brightonians. Whether you like to burn lanterns or spend your time in igloos, leave the house and soak up the festive atmosphere in Brighton this Christmas.

Photo credit: Brighton Music Hall