Did you know Sussex has a gardening society?

Turns out it’s not just for old people

Nestled in the back of our beloved Park Village there lies more than just empty beer cans and fag ends. If you go wondering the woods today, you'll find more than just a surprise.

On your adventure you'll discover the soon to be famous Roots. The Sussex gardening society who shall be there tending their vibrant allotment.

After moving from the top of the Brighthelm accommodation just last February, Roots have already got themselves a caring group of people even creating a nickname for themselves, The Gangster Gardeners'. In just eight short months the plot is already more lively than my post freshers social life.

This laid back society meets twice a week, 14:00 – 16:00pm, on Wednesdays and Sundays. No matter what the weather – which is usually rain because, let's face it, this is England – don't fret because there is always something to do.

The society have created their own polytunnel which allows work to be carried out despite our typical British rain. In fact, the tunnel is so fabulous that even our beloved seagulls like to pop by and poke their own viewing holes in the roof; luckily there's nothing a bit of sellotape can't fix.

As an alternative to the polytunnel, you can give the rain a middle finger and still go outside as rain coats are provided allowing you to frolic around outside as usual.

Speaking to one of the gardeners he described the society to resemble a little bit of home as well as how it feels nice to be able to show someone something you've grown. The members have something to call their own that they can contribute towards every week. Pretty similar to renting in Brighton if you ask me, just a little less dirt.

Whilst one gardener likened it to home, another went on to say how it is a top notch form of procrastination whilst still doing something productive. I'm not sure their parents and lecturers would completely agree with that though.

Fresh veggies

The society religiously follow the green motto of, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle." As there is no membership fee it is up to the society as a whole to make supplies stretch out as far as possible. Pretty much the same concept as students being forced to hold out until their next food shop and convince themselves that stale bread isn't all that bad.

Even when flowers die, all the dead heads are collected with the seeds being extracted and packaged up ready to plant the following Spring.

Every member has a say, with their annual meeting coming up soon in which anyone can out forward projects they want to see happen. Once the projects have a plan, the four committee members can then apply for funding from the university. However, the university recently turned down the request for Roots to have the uni's shredded paper for their compost.

As of right now, there are no events planned. But the society hope that when it hits the right time of season that they can hold fund raisers in which plants, seeds and vegetables can be sold.

On the social side, the plot has its own fire pit which is open for the whole society to use. Often after a session you can find the gardeners winding down around the fire eating some sort of fresh produce which has been harvested that day.

This is one of the few societies that is completely free to be a part of and requires no long term commitment. Roots is very welcoming, with new faces every week and a variety of jobs there is something for everyone. Whether you want to be a regular and fulfil that life long dream of growing a tomato plant, or just get a healthy dose of green (not that green) Roots can definitely help with whatever you desire.

A small but delicious fresh watermelon

So if you think that this society may be for you, you want to avoid those 16 readings or just fancy a bit of fresh air then you can find out more about them on their Facebook page here.