Here’s what I expected from Brighton and this is the reality

It’s not what you think.

Having never been to Brighton before I started university I had many expectations about what life outside the capital city i.e. the alternate universe would be like. Some were on point, some were embarrassingly wrong – but despite the confusion I want to address the lessons I have learnt.

People don't eat fish and chips three times a day

For some reason, I assumed fish and chips were the staple diet here. Granted, I was wrong. I have seen maybe 3 battered fish in the last week which is more than London, but not on the scale I was expecting if I'm honest. I genuinely thought chips would be served for breakfast lunch and dinner with vinegar in replacement of the morning coffee. It's a bit disappointing for a seaside town but I'll get over it. I prefer a late night kebab anyways.

Chips and fish

Chips and fish

Not everyone surfs here

This was a huge embarrassment and I hate myself for thinking this. There aren't even any bloody waves here. For some reason I expected a load of lads in wet suits strutting around, and to my disappointment this has not occurred. I don't know where this assumption came from; London has definitely left me secluded from the outside world. The reality is that occasionally you see some semi naked old men fishing on the shore and absolutely no surfers. Should have gone to Cornwall.

Everyone loves the Green Party

We all know Brighton has strong Green support thanks to Caroline Lucas – and being the only Green constituency in the UK. Politics isn't my go to small talk but I have felt a strong left wing presence among everyone here. There must be something in the sea air because one of my own housemates actually turned from Lib Dem to Labour supporter thanks to Jeremy Corbyn's rally this weekend. Yet I'm still thoroughly disappointed he didn't DJ himself.

Everyone's vegan

I am actually yet to meet a real life vegan in B-Town. I have seen multiple vegan cafes and restaurants so there is clearly a demand. Whilst I personally don't see the appeal of tofu over chicken, I feel like Brighton does.

It is LGBTQ+ friendly

Apart from a drunken stumble into Revenge the other night, I am yet to explore the LGBTQ+ scene. However, I do have two male housemates willing to dress up in drag, and I feel like this is the place for it. I can't say it feels more accepting than anywhere else but I have seen many a pride flag. I think there needs to be more glitter though.

Showing our support

Showing our support

It's actually not that big

To my surprise Brighton is not the huge town I expected. There are a million hills around me which makes for a great early morning workout after clubbing. The buses are not as good as London but that's a hard feat to beat. All I know is that the 23 to campus is quite the saviour, but only when it comes early and a whole flock of school children don't decide to plod on when I'm late to my 9am.

There isn't a distinctive Brighton accent

Much to my surprise there is no accent in Brighton. I'm not sure why I thought this but in my head there was a definite country twang surrounding the city. I was soon proved wrong – there is no distinctive accent that I can make fun of unfortunately. I will survive.