Crime hotspots in Brighton and Hove exposed

Robberies are up by 40 per cent

Hide Images

It’s the second year in a row recorded crime in Brighton and Hove has increased.

The number of sexual offences in the area has risen by almost 19 per cent, alongside robberies which are up by 40 per cent, and violent incidents up by 25 per cent.

On the plus side, there have also been reductions in the number of vehicle crimes dropping by almost 20 per cent, theft down by 8 per cent and burglary decreasing by 10 per cent.

These figures have been released ahead of impending approval from the City Council for a three year plan targeted at reducing crime across Brighton and Hove. However, these figures may not be 100 per cent representative of crime in the area as there are some incidents that go unreported.

Alongside figures detailing the number of recorded crimes in the area, information regarding hotspots for crime in Brighton and Hove has also been released.

Vehicle theft and damage mainly occurs close to the city centre with areas such as Hanover and Elm Grove, Regency and Queen’s park, St Peter’s and the North Laine as well as the Poet’s corner area of Hove being targeted.

Houses in multiple occupation are most at risk for burglary. This stretches from areas in Kemptown and St James’s Street, the North Laines, the streets North and South of Western Road, Seven Dials and the Montpelier/Clifton regions, all the way west to Adelaide Crescent.

The reported hotspot for theft is mainly located in the city centre, supposedly linked to night-time business around West Street and Brighton’s seafront.

Religious or racist crimes during 2015/16 increased by 23 per cent on the previous year with 506 incidents reported, the highest number for the last eight years.

Sussex police recently received a ‘requires improvement’ rating from the Government inspector, being advised that more needs to be done to prevent incidents occurring before they become a major problem.

The force responded by saying they’re “determined” to improve their services so that they are more effective.

A final plan focusing on reducing incidents including anti-social behaviour, preventing individuals from re-offending and helping to meet the needs of victims of crimes is expected to be drawn up and implemented from next month.

Hotspot maps courtesy of Brighton and Hove City Council.