So why did Sussex and Brighton students protest against Trump?

We asked a few who attended

We all know the local rivalry between the University of Sussex and Brighton University, yet on Monday night, they pushed it aside to come together in times of need. What brings people together better than outrageous banners and chanting in unison. Here’s what a few students had to say:

Kitty studying Photography at Brighton University:

Why did you go to the Trump Protest?

“I went to support banning him entry to the UK, against his Muslim ban and fascist views, and his odd relationship with Theresa May.”

How long did you spend there and were you a part of the march afterwards?

“I spent 2 hours there, and yes I participated in the march.”

Which was your favourite banner?

“Pussy Grabs Back”

How did you feel being a part of this protest?

“Amazing, I felt a really big sense of community, it was very empowering to be part of such a big movement embracing diversity.”

Is there anything you would have done differently?

“Probably not chanted that Donald Trump was a cunt as there were children present, however it is necessary to use obscene language for a president with who openly talks about sexual assault.”

Oliver studying Journalism at the University of Sussex

Why did you go to the Trump Protest?

“Probably for the same reason everyone else did. We don’t like The Donald and we don’t really agree with his ban.”

“I went for about an hour and a half, I wasn’t part of the march. I got there quite early so they held us in one square for quite a while so we ended up going back before it started.”

Which was your favourite banner?

“Oh, I liked the little hands one and there was one that said ‘How can you build a wall with such small hands?’ and I thought that was pretty good.”

“I’ve never been part of a protest before, I’m not normally that proactive but I was encouraged to get by my friends. It was actually quite enjoyable and it was quite a positive atmosphere. It wasn’t violent or aggressive, it was just everyone having a laugh. It was quite a fun evening.”

“Held up a few more signs whilst I was there, I was pretty quiet and I let my friends do the work. I would have probably stayed longer next time.”

Erin studying English at The University of Sussex:

Why did you go to the Trump Protest?

“I went because fuck Trump and also because it was a way of showing solidarity. Also, in Brighton we’re great at standing against bigotry and showing solidarity with migrants and refugees around the world that love trumps hate and also displaying solidarity with the marches and demos happening in America. I can’t afford to go out and join them so want to show solidarity from here.”

“I was there from 6 through the march. It was lit.”

Which was your favourite banner?

“Massive fan of the “pussy grabs back” banners. Hilarious show of solidarity and a fun way to say that we won’t be victims as women; we’ll stand up and fight back.”

“Always wicked to be part of a protest/demo and for the solidarity”

“I didn’t have time to make a banner! It was such a short notice rally, I didn’t get to make a fun banner but it was wicked to see so many homemade banners and the SWP are always about with ready made banners for all.”

Milo studying Zoology at the University of Sussex

Why did you go to the Trump Protest?

“The same reason as everyone else really, Trump’s not a goodun, he’s a bad egg.”

“I spent an hour and half there and I wasn’t a part of the march afterwards, I didn’t know there was going to be one.”

Which was your favourite banner?

“Pussy Grabs Back.”

“I felt liberated, I was making a difference and I feel like our protest will change things.”

“I would have made a wittier sign and I would have done something newsworthy. Obviously it’s a good cause but I don’t know if some liberal bullshit from Milo is going to make a difference.”

Isabella studying English and Drama at The University of Sussex:

Why did you go to the Trump Protest?

“I went because I saw that someone posted it on Twitter and I thought it was really important to show my support. And the whole idea behind the protest is something that I believe in and I hate Donald Trump and Theresa May.”

“No, I was just there for about an hour from 6 when it started.”

Which was your favourite banner?

“There was a really funny one with a real good illustration of Trump and it said ‘Trump is a propah bellend’. And then ‘Theresa the Appeaser’. There were loads of good ones but they were long so I don’t remember them all. I wish I had made one.”

“It was so weird and such an overwhelming sense of togetherness. It felt really empowering that everyone was agreeing on this topic and that everyone there to show their support. It was really nice and it had a weird vibe to it. I’d never been to a protest before.”

“Yeah, I would have made a banner and stayed for longer or come a bit later to be part of the march.”