Campus Co-op won’t sell beer, lager or cider over six per cent

No more Henry Westons for you

The campus Co-op will no longer sell beer, lager or cider above six per cent, after the supermarket signed up to the ‘Sensible on Strength’ scheme along with all of Brighton and Hove’s Co-op stores.

The initiative, which has been running for three years, encourages shop owners not to sell these alcohols with the aim of targeting street drinking.

Within the first two years of the scheme, street drinking numbers fell by 31 per cent, which has also lead to more street drinkers engaging in treatment for alcohol addiction.

Director of Corporate Affairs at the Southern Co-operative, Silena Dominy, said: “We are pleased to confirm that all five of our stores in Brighton and Hove, including Bramber House at Sussex University, have joined the ‘Sensible on Strength’ scheme, and that all low-cost, high-strength alcohol will have been taken off the shelves.

“The Southern Co-operative’s decision to join the campaign was based on our shared ethos for promoting and supporting responsible retailing, and addresses our continued commitment to the city’s licensing objectives; prevention of crime and disorder, prevention of public nuisance, public safety, and protection of children from harm.

“We were delighted to hear that significant and positive changes have already been achieved by the campaign and its existing members, which is helping to reduce antisocial behaviour and improve the health of all those affected by alcohol addiction.

“We are proud to be the first convenience store chain to take part in the scheme and hope that our involvement will encourage others to also pledge their support.”

Councillor Jackie O’Quinn, chair of the city’s licensing committee, commented: “This is a fantastic example of partnership working that is having a positive effect on street drinkers in the city.

“High-strength drinks are different from other beers and ciders and cause great harm to vulnerable people.

“It’s been really encouraging to see local businesses signing up to ‘Sensible on Strength’ as experience shows that where this kind of alcohol has been removed from sale it not only helps street drinkers, but has a wider effect on reducing crime, disorder and antisocial behaviour.”