We asked Sussex Freshers what they thought of their first term

I lost my strawpedo virginity, you?

Our first term at Uni has been riddled with panic, parties, protests and Pryzm. And with the twinkling lights of the Christmas holidays in sight, the end is finally nigh for the Autumn term. But what did the freshers have to say about all?

Melissa Cartwright, Journalism

“Considering my family thought I was going to die within 2 weeks of coming to Uni, I’d say I’ve done pretty well to make it to the 10 week mark. Whilst I still can’t cook anything more adventurous than bag of boiled rice, I’m the last one in my flat to make it on to the ‘chunder chart’, and I personally think that is a bigger achievement. To sum up, my sleeping pattern’s wrecked, I’m ill every other week, and I’m so far behind on my course I have no idea what’s going on, but that’s the way it should be” – Rate: 9/10

Dom Bruce-Radcliffe, Media Practice

“Coming from another, much larger uni it’s nice to see how much the staff seem to care about me and my degree. Surf trip to Newquay has definitely been a highlight. Oh and I know it’s Sussex but I didn’t expect there to be so many southerners here. I was born in Cumbria and I’ve honestly never felt so exotic. Groovy ey.” – Rate: 8/10

Shannon Darby, Business

“My first term at Uni has taught me a lot of things, I learnt within the first few days of moving to Brighton that all you need is a choker and a nose piercing of some description and you’ll fit in just fine. I appreciate tumble dryers and dishwashers more for than ever and I also know if I don’t end up in Cheeky Chicken at 4am eating my body weight in cheesy chips, I probably didn’t have a good night. Viva la sesh”  – Rate: 10/10

Yisi Liu, Foundation Programming

“My first term has been absolutely fantastic, there is not a single bit of home sickness as having a campus University means its so easy to meet so many great people. Also living on my own, I have learnt to fend for myself and, unlike many of my flatmates, actually enjoy cooking food. One of my best moments has got to be doing a push up with a girl on my back after downing a concoction of salt, vodka, soy sauce, oyster sauce and vinegar for a drinking game. I then threw up on her.” –  Rate: 9/10

Hannah Martinez-Holloway, Applied Psychology and Criminology

“My best experience has definitely been meeting so many like minded people on my course and in societies, especially my best friend Lewis who always helps me get home after a night out, even if it is in a M&S trolley. All in all my first term as a fresher has been fab.”  – Rate: 8/10

Amelia Hopwood, American Studies and History

“My first term as a fresher has been amazing. Like most people do, you worry about your flat mates, whether you’ll make friends and if you will survive freshers week. All three of these have turned out in my favour, with loving flat mates who will buy you Chinese for when you wake up from a drunken state. And joining a cheerleading society with some of the nicest girls you could meet. It can only go onwards and upwards from here.” –  Rate: 9.5/10