New biodiversity project approved by Sussex University

The South Downs just approved of Sussex Uni’s grassland proposal.

In a report provided by Sussex University, the South Downs National Park has given Sussex University the (green) thumbs up for their landscaping proposal to create a grassland habitat on the West Slope near Lewes Court and Northfield.

The crumbled chalk and rubber remains of the soon to be demolished but much loved East Slope will be reused to create the grassland, which will be spread across the West Slope, significantly improving the biodiversity of the area.

The University’s Registrar, John Duffy commented on the environmental project: “We are pleased to be able to enhance the biodiversity of the area on the West Slope of campus, by making the most of materials that are excavated as part of our East Slope redevelopment.”

The remains of the Slope after demolition will be recycled for the new green space.

As well as benefiting the wildlife surrounding the university, the area will also be used as an educational resource for the School of Life Sciences at Sussex.

Ecologist Dr Alan Stewart from the School of Life Sciences, who has been involved in initial discussions about the project, discussed the benefits of the grassland. He saids “Once established, the grassland will provide greater ecological value for a more diverse range of flora and fauna and will be of special benefit to insects such as butterflies and other pollinators” and will also be used as ‘a case study in our teaching to Life Sciences students and also for research.”

The project is expected to be underway during three weeks of Summer 2018  and will be protected for a few months after completion to ensure its survival. Eventually the site will then have open access for students and staff to enjoy the views of the Downs.