Armed police to attend Lewes Bonfire over terrorist fears

It will be the first time armed police have attended

Sussex Police are dispatching armed officers to monitor tomorrow’s Lewes Bonfire.

Since August 2014, the international threat level for the UK has been at ‘severe’, meaning that terror attacks are very likely.

The armed police will also will be setting up roadblocks and all main roads leading into Lewes will be closed from 5pm onward.

Speaking to The Argus, Chief Superintendent Neil Honnor of Sussex Police said: “Due to the national security threat assessment and the evolving nature of the threat we have reviewed our response, as other forces around the country are doing continually, and as a result have put additional security measures in place. This includes the additional road closures.”

The event claims to have around 80,000 people attending from all around the world to watch the 16,000 populace of Lewes come out in full force to host a night of deep tradition and fireworks.

There has been speculation that with the added danger risk, the striking trains, and the transport restrictions, that the number attending the bonfire will be substantially lower than what is to be expected.

Brighton and Hove Buses have confirmed that more services will run however to combat the striking trains.