74 per cent of Brits are ‘micro-criminals’

From fare dodging to illegal streaming – we’re a naughty bunch

New research by YouGov has found that 74 per cent of Brits surveyed admitted to having committed various micro-crimes – small legal infractions perpetrated on a day-to-day basis.

The most common crime committed across all age demographics was paying someone cash-in-hand, so that it costs less, knowing that they would avoid paying tax.

[infogram id=”4845046b-f783-4c90-a011-753c7701035f”]

Among 18 to 24-year-olds, the most common crimes perpetrated were illegally streaming TV shows and films and dodging public transport fares, with 48 and 42 per cent (respectively) of the demographic admitting to having committed these micro-crimes at least once. This age segment was also the one that most freely admitted to their criminal past, with 83 per cent of all 18 to 24-year-olds confessing to the practices.

Young people under 24 were also more than twice as likely to admit to refilling their drinks without paying extra than those aged 25 and over. 18 to 24 year olds were also far more likely to lie about their age or situation to get discounts, as they would be more likely to get away with claiming they were younger than in actuality.

Take our poll below and let us know how you compare to the rest of the public.