An introvert’s guide to university halls

It’s OK to take a break

Moving to university is a big adjustment for everyone, but there’s no denying that introverts get the short end of the stick. The 24-hour socialising and friend-making during freshers’ week can be an introvert’s nightmare because there aren’t enough hours left for that essential “me time”.

Contrary to popular opinion, introverts are not necessarily shy, recluses or socially awkward. They just need time on their own to recharge their batteries. Unlike extroverts, who gather their energy from other people, introverts gather theirs from themselves.

While living in halls, you’re constantly in close contact with more people than you’re likely to be used to. This, combined with the constant pressure and expectation to be social, can overstimulate introverts and deplete their energy levels very quickly. Letting people know why you want to be alone – without them thinking you’re being grumpy or antisocial – can be hard sometimes.

But do not fear, there are ways to survive university halls as an introvert.

Listen to yourself

There is no point in constantly pushing to be social if it’s draining you. Spend a night in if you need to, because ignoring the need for alone time can lead to some nasty side effects that will result in requiring even more time out.

I learnt this the hard way as I spent my whole fourth week of university literally locked in my room suffering from an “introvert hangover” (it’s a real thing). Spending a whole week feeling like I was on the verge of a panic attack was horrendous and I wish I hadn’t let it get that far because by the end of the week I felt isolated and alienated from all my friends.

Assure people it isn’t personal

Make sure your friends know your night off isn’t because of them. Tell them you need to recharge and if they can’t handle that, tell a white lie and say you have work that needs to be done. People won’t take it personally unless you give them a reason to.

Get a Netflix subscription

For those evenings which require no mental activity at all, except for perhaps keeping up with a complex story line. Netflix has a special place in every introvert’s heart.

Make your room a nice place to be

You’re going to be spending a lot of time there, so make sure you love it. Get cushions and fairy lights so you feel comfortable and at home when you’re there.

Explore

We are unbelievably lucky at Sussex to be in such a beautiful area. Taking a walk on the Downs or finding a quiet coffee shop in Brighton to spend some time alone can be exactly what the doctor ordered. On top of that, you can learn to know and love a whole new area.

Keep your mum on speed dial

Sometimes when life gets overwhelming, all you need is a chat with your mum and everything is better.

So, introverts, there it is – a small but useful guide to giving yourself a break and surviving halls as an introvert, or at least making it more manageable. Remember there are introverts everywhere feeling the same way, but we’re all alone, in our own houses. Thank God.