We asked Sussex students if they knew what International Relations is

‘Isn’t that the thing that everyone comes here to study?’

International Relations is the jewel in the Sussex University crown, as many students come far and wide to study the subject here. The department has a huge uptake every year, and the lecturers are some of the best in the entire world. However this does beg one question, just what the hell is it?

We took to the streets and asked the ordinary people of Sussex if they could tell us just what does it mean.

Jonathan

14689846_1195191203834825_1357360816_o
International relations? Isn’t that the thing everyone comes here to study? I don’t know, I don’t know the difference between International Relations and International Development. Same thing really.

Oguzhan, Zaheen and Ali

Oguzhan: International Relations? Is it when international students make relations with each other?

Zaheen: No it’s more of a course.

Ali: Yes, I believe it is related to politics – international politics to be specific – and how countries interact.

Mandy

I think I know what it is. It’s the study of international diplomacy and stuff like that, something to do with international politics isn’t it?

Steven

Yeah, I know what international relations is. I guess it’s like intergovernmental relations and stuff. Well, I claim to know what it is but I can’t quite define it can I?

Kilian 

Yes, it is the study of the political relations between several countries…and stuff.

Lucy

I would say, as a discipline, it is a field of study which studies the relations of power between states, beyond states and in states – while taking account of the international realm.

Denzil

I know that in essence it has a lot to do with policy making and democracy. I don’t know where I’m going with this. It’s how states interact on a global scale and the need for them to interact, like politics in the largest spectrum. Also, it’s like studying political science and countries’ economics and histories too. I honestly don’t know where I went with this.

Chirag

Probably how countries interact, I don’t know really. Good question, really gets you thinking. Is it like an international thing where cultures relate to each other? Forming relations, kind of like a platform where international countries come together to repair relationships? I’m not sure exactly. Sorry, but good question.

Dorjee

I sort of know what it is. I’m guessing it’s something to do with learning the diplomatic relations between countries and I guess it’s related to political science.

JoJo and Lara

JoJo: It’s studying how countries interact, communicate with each other and why they need to. It has something to do with world politics or something, kind of like that right?

Lara: I’m not exactly sure what it is but it has a lot to do with combating terrorism, forming resolutions and realistic goals for countries to meet, and it features Angelina Jolie, Emma Watson and Leonardo DiCaprio a lot.

JoJo: That sounds like the United Nations….

Lara: Isn’t it like the same thing? Don’t they go hand in hand?