Brighton’s West Pier gets lit up for 150th anniversary

But this time it’s not a fire

Brighton’s West Pier is celebrating 150 years since its opening with an impressive light show.

The structure was opened in 1866, but a major fire in 2003 left it in a state of irreversible disrepair.

Since the fire it has had sections collapse due to the waves, gradually turning it into the much-cherished scaffolding-like lump of rusting metal it is today.

150 years old, neglected but still standing

The pier was illuminated Thursday night and will be illuminated again today from sunset for the People, Environment, and Achievement Awards (P.E.A.)

The vibrant illumination of the West Pier kick starts a year-long series of events to celebrate the rather odd milestone, lauding a structure which hasn’t been intact in over 14 years.

Regardless, the celebration provides an opportunity to shed a light (pun intended) on the pier’s history and the Victorians who built it.

The contentious new i360, complete with illuminating spotlights

The pier is illuminated by massive spotlights by the British Airways i360 viewing tower, the site of tonight’s P.E.A. Awards.

The awards celebrate ‘green heroes’, as well as the products, services and businesses changing the planet.

Guests at the awards will take a flight up the i360 to see the West Pier from above, but most of us will be happy to just enjoy the unique sight from the beach itself.