How to survive as a vegan at Sussex

The Hatch will be your new best friend

It’s a common misconception amongst those who aren’t familiar with the vegan diet that it’s expensive as well as being dietary restrictive. I am sure I speak for at least 80% of fellow vegans when I say I am sick and tired of hearing people ask questions such as “So what do you eat then, salad?” and “but where do you get your protein from?” Only to then have to answer with the same recited responses every single time.

So to those of you who may believe that veganism is an impossible pursuit, or that it’s simply far too expensive to maintain, or those who are simply looking for some guidance in the way of eating vegan at uni, here is your official guide to eating vegan at Sussex university on a budget.

The Hatch

Ignore all of the meaty meatness please…

A.k.a. your new best friend. Never in my life have I ever felt such pure bliss as when I discovered that less than 60 feet from my doorstep lies a wonderland of dreamy vegan food served until 3am. Yes, you heard me right, 3AM! Perfect for those post night out drunk cravings and very reasonably priced…mmm vegan cheesy chips.

The three P’s

Pasta: Every uni student, vegan or not, will eventually discover that one of the easiest and cheapest meals to cook is pasta. Keep your supply constantly topped up with the help of the on campus Co-op and save yourself a bus or train fare.

Potatoes: Ahh, the beloved potato, the most versatile vegetable of all time. From chips to mash to roasties, there isn’t a person in this world who doesn’t appreciate the humble potato in at least one of it’s many forms. NEVER be without them. Take a look at Youtube channel http://www.hotforfoodblog.com/ for some of the best vegan recipes known to man.

Pints: You may come to uni adamant that you hate beer and always will. You will be thrown head first into a pool of beer drinkers and cheap pub pints. The practicality of becoming a beer drinker will invalidate any opinions from your not yet matured taste buds, trust me. If nothing else, East Slope bar’s Skint Tuesdays will sway you in the direction of cheap pints. Hit up http://www.barnivore.com/ to find out whether or not your favourite bevvies are vegan friendly.

The luxuries

Yes… Vegan cheeseburgers exist!

If you have that little pot of extra dolla set aside to spend on luxuries, head to Brighton and soak up the wonderful array of vegan eateries and health food shops. My personal favourite being Violife vegan cheese, stocked in many different flavours including smoked.. (must I say any more?) I can assure you it’s all worth the very slightly dearer price tags.

Infinity foods

From vegan mac and cheese ready meals for £3.50 to a big old bag of hummus crisps (amazing) for 69p. Any vegan’s dream. Take a stroll into Brighton and visit this wonderland, you’ll be instantly hooked I guarantee.

Falmer House Farmer’s Market

There is also a fantastic farmer’s market located in Falmer House’s square every Tuesday between 10am and 4pm. From a huge punnet of cherry tomatoes for £1 to a cucumber for 50p, they’ve got a huge range of fresh produce for a very very reasonable price.

A few foods you’d never have thought were vegan

Skittles, Starburst and Jelly Tots.. Many similar jelly-ish sweets are made from gelatin (aka animal bones.. aka gross.) However, fear not, if you are craving a sweet treat there are many mainstream familiar brands available to you.

Tesco Bacon Rashers Snacks, Sainsbury’s Bacon Crispies and many other own-brand bacon snacks.. A lot of your favourite ‘bacon’ flavoured savoury snacks are in fact not bacon at all, and in fact.. very vegan.

Jacob’s Cream Crackers.. Despite the word ‘cream’ being in the name, relax, it’s false advertisement and they are 100% vegan. Enjoy.

Bourbons.. Another common favourite that is, once again, vegan. Who’d have thought it?