‘We need a second referendum’: Caroline Lucas answers our questions on Brexit

She’s set out a six point plan for the governments next steps

Caroline Lucas, MP for Brighton Pavilion and the only elected green MP, was a strong campaigner and supporter of remaining in the EU.

She was the leader of the Green party between 2008 and 2012 and was elected as an MP in 2010. She was reelected in 2015 with a majority of 7967 votes.She stepped down as Green party leader in 2012 and was succeeded by Natalie Bennett.

I spoke to her about how she’s feeling and her post Brexit plans.

What would you say to the 73% of 18-24 year olds who have voted remain? Do you believe they have taken the right course of action through protests?

It does seem deeply unfair that despite overwhelmingly voting to remain, the generation whose futures will be most affected by this decision are being taken out of Europe by those older than them – and, understandably, young people are seriously angry about the result.

It has been heartening to see thousands lining the streets in recent weeks to show the strength of their pro-European feeling, and I believe continuing to demonstrate this will be vital during the coming period of renegotiations. But, I don’t think ignoring the result of the referendum would be a legitimate or constructive course of action.

Instead, there should be a second referendum on the final terms of our exit from the EU so that the British public have a say on the kind of post-referendum Britain we end up with. And there’s no doubt in my mind that 16 and 17 year olds should be allowed to vote in that referendum.

How tense has it been working in parliament during the EU campaign?

It’s been a very stressful time – not least because so much was at stake in the referendum. But the real tension wasn’t inside Parliament, it was out in the streets and in communities where division and hate were being stirred up by the Leave campaign. It’s down to MPs to now heal those divisions.

Natalie Bennett took leadership in 2012

What is the biggest thing you have learnt from the campaign? Anything about the electorate or fellow MPs?

One thing the referendum made clear was the depth of divisions that exist in our society and our communities – and what a challenge we have on our hands healing those divisions. It’s clear that people in Britain feel frustrated and disenfranchised, and the leave campaign successfully exploited those frustrations. It’s crucial now that we fully address them – and one step to doing that is putting in place a fairer voting system, so that everyone is properly represented and no vote is wasted.

What is the next step for government and how can the electorate help?

I’ve set out a six point plan laying out what I think the government’s next steps must be following the Leave vote.

First, there must be a general election in the Autumn so that the British people can choose who negotiates Brexit on our behalf. There must be a parliamentary vote on the terms of a deal – and then a second referendum on those terms. We must get the possible terms on that deal –meaning the government must urgently work to protect freedom of movement, our membership of the single market, and vital workers’ rights and environmental legislation; and there must be emergency legislation to guarantee the rights of non-British EU nationals already living in the UK.

And finally, I am demanding that the government protect young people’s futures by guaranteeing continued funding for Erasmus, student exchanges and EU-funded schemes targeted at young people.

It has never been more important for the electorate to hold the government to account – we need to be demanding a say on the final Brexit deal, and scrutinising that deal as it’s thrashed out. Now isn’t the time to turn off from politics!