Why this locals Facebook group is the best thing about Brighton

They do everything from gardening tips to giving away free stuff

The Hanover community group on Facebook is a 6,200 strong network of people all around Brighton. It’s something I stumbled upon a while back and is a treasure trove of guidance ranging from gardening tips to tech-savvy people helping out those who couldn’t identify a keyboard if it hit them around the face.

This is why the Hanover community group is the best community in Brighton.

They’re extremely green

Nothing is more Brighton than being green and healthy. The group go to great lengths to keep up this image and share all the best tips to grow the biggest cucumber in Brighton. For me, I absolutely love that there’s a community of people helping one another out in a quasi-agricultural commune giving advice to one another.

Their humour is second to none

If you want a little bit of cheering up in your life, then the members of the community board are happy to oblige. I find it entertaining, looking through and stumbling across some original hilarious content. Being sarcastic and witty is their forte so have a little look around if you’re feeling blue. Who knows what you could find?

The social commentary they offer is astonishing

The one thing I love is the bizarre and often disillusioned posts that people put up. Ranging from over the top complaints in which the group becomes a therapy session, to the slightly odd comments/observations that the members wish to share with the rest of the residents. It is like the reality show on your doorstep and can sometimes lead to a little lost faith in humanity.

They act as an amazing support network

Many members often post queries and requests for the rest of Brighton to find it in their heart to help out their fellow man and it is a really sweet thing to witness. The first port of call for some members is this place, which puts a bit more faith in humanity lost previously.

The community have an oddly addictive game

Brighton is very well known for its colourful houses and amazing artwork that is dotted all around the city. The members of the community board have invented a simple, but entertaining game that all can take part in. As seen above, it is a simple matching colour game where you get a point if you snap up a matching car and house colour. A simple game but you will always pay focus to it when you are out exploring the sights.  Could this be Brighton’s answer to punch buggy?

If you want to buy it, they surely will sell it

Many members give away clothes, furniture, electronics etc. for a bargain that any student should bookmark. No doubt that if you need a new armchair or some video games they will have it for a very good price and why stop there? If you have any goods you want to get rid of it is a perfect forum to share. Need to make some space in your student housing? It’s great to give away something that someone else can make use of.