Deadline Day celebrations in doubt as exams are scheduled for the same day

Quiet please

Traditional on-campus celebrations for finalists handing in their dissertations on May 12 may have to be cancelled as exams have been scheduled for the same day.

Normally, “Deadline Day” sees all BA final years hand in their dissertations and celebrate. Last year, students enjoyed free candy floss and the chance to bounce their worries away on an inflatable castle. This year, however, plans for the big day are uncertain.

The Tab has learnt that for the first time the university has scheduled exams in Mandela Hall on the same day as Deadline Day, throwing huge doubts over the feasibility of having on-campus celebrations for finalists handing in their dissertations. A celebration could potentially mean noise disruptions for those sitting their exams.

Conversations are ongoing, but if the exams are not rescheduled or moved to a different location, thousands of students could face the sad prospect of not being thrown the celebration they deserve after weeks of hardcore essay writing.

This isn’t the first time a dissertation celebration has been under threat. In 2013, university management scrapped the notorious “Dissertation Dash” where Sussex finalists would excitedly hand in their defining piece of work by racing through campus to Falmer House.

After it was cancelled “Deadline Day” was organised as a compromise, allowing students to enjoy bar-based activities, a barbecue, giant inflatables and DJ. In recent years, Deadline Day celebrations have become the haven finalists have looked forward to after handing in the pieces of work that will define their degree.