Everything you should probably be doing with your summer

A definitive guide to keeping busy

If,  like me, you’re worried about what this summer will bring, whether it will be party central and LSD in the parks or a good time to knuckle down and get shit done then worry no more. Here are some things to look forward to when the sun visits us for six days during our great British summer time.

Go to a festival

Festival vibes

If there’s one thing the British can brag about it’s the huge amount of festivals we hold over summer. You could go to the big ones such as Reading, Creamfields, Glastonbury and lose yourself in the hippie vibes or you could spare some time for the more unknown festivals. Hogsozzle is a festival dedicated to all things pig (yes pig) with free hog roasts, pink paint parties, fancy dress, and way more over three days.

Does a festival look great but you’re too skint to go? No problem, you can volunteer to work as a steward at pretty much all of the big festivals. Oxfam offer volunteering jobs for all to work in their shops or to help with the basic safety of everything. It’s a great thing to put on your CV and a very cheap way of going to your favourite festivals.

Get a job you bum

Yes, that is me in the suit

Pretty simple really. No doubt you’ve already thought of this. There are usually plenty of jobs going over summer especially if you live on the coast since it becomes high season. The careers office at university will have hundreds of places they can put you on for a summer placement so have a talk with them to get the ball rolling. Gumtree is also a thing…

If all the jobs you’ve come across aren’t that appealing and you don’t want to spend your summer in a call centre then apply for a internship. This is great if you’re still in that phase of “I don’t know what to do when I’m older” because you can choose periods of a week or three plus months to see what your chosen industry is like. Some internships pay and some don’t just to warn you. Milkround is great for student internships so get looking.

Be a good Samaritan

Find the good in your heart to work towards a great cause. There are loads of volunteering opportunities for you to get involved in. Brighton regularly has volunteering work from cleaning up the beaches to teaching kids sports (more can be found here). Not only can it cleanse your soul from all the debauchery you got up to last Saturday night but it’s great for CVs and meeting some great people.

Charlie and crew built the house behind them

Don’t like the English summer of rain mixed with little bits of sun? Worry no more, the International citizens service (ICS) is taking students abroad to work on projects to better people’s lives. They’ll train you in the ways of the force and take you to their projects all around the world (ever wanted to go to India or Zimbabwe?) to work for 8-12 weeks. Not only would this be a great way to see the world, but it is a good opportunity to get your hands dirty and get some experience in trades such as construction, environment, etc. (More info can be found here). There’s also a huge demand for volunteering at the Calais jungle so it is a good way to get out there and see the conditions first-hand.

Work in a summer camp in America

I imagine you, or at least someone you know, is doing this over summer. Camp America is a exchange program where you work in summer camps in America. What a great way to get out there and escape from your problems at home like readings. Camp America are still taking applications so be quick.

Read

So far I’m on 361

16-25 year olds who read outside of education for pleasure are more likely to become professionals or hold a managerial position when older according to research. There are plenty of books to read and you can turn around and be that snob who claims the films aren’t as good as the books. Don’t enjoy reading? Audible will give you a free audiobook when you sign up so you can listen to those very long books.

Defeat that video game you’ve always wanted to beat

Must. Complete. Fallout

Just because it’s summer doesn’t mean you actually have to go outside. You can finally tackle that video game you haven’t been able to do because you have responsibilities. If you’re a PC gamer (like me woo) then you no doubt already know about the Steam summer sale they have going on every year. This sale makes huge games extremely affordable by taking upwards to 80 per cent off the original price which is more than tempting to convert you to PC gaming.

Likewise, Netflix binge

EVERYONE MUST WATCH BREAKING BAD.

Reinvent yourself

Summer is a long time to not see people if you live far away. What a great opportunity then to reinvent your style you have always wanted. Grow that ponytail, bench an extra 30kg, shape up that beard. Its a long time to not make use of.

Apply for a role at university

99 per cent of the time applications will be open for student roles over Summer to prepare for the upcoming year. Whether it’s to work on campus, become a student rep, start a society etc. they usually all open the gates during the middle of summer. If you’ve had one too many Kopparbergs and your mind is a haze then never fear, this is a friendly reminder that you need to get your arse in gear.

Learn First Aid

First aid classes occur very regularly across the country. Courses will cost however but you’ll be certified in whichever course you take (child first aid, emergency first aid, you get the idea). If you don’t have the coppers to afford it then St John’s Ambulance take on volunteers to teach first aid for free in exchange for helping out at events.

Take the gap year you never had

You’re not that attractive when you Skydive

Sick and tired of everyone bringing up their amazing gap year and how they went to Thailand? I know I am, which is why you should get out there and explore Europe. Interrail passes are around £200 for a month and hostels can be around £8 a night. If you decide to go back to work during summer then on average for £600-700 you can go around Europe on the cheap.

Run a 5k marathon

Before you faint at the thought of any form of exercise, there are many fun runs happening across the country that can be walked but “The Colour Walk” doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. If you don’t want to get your clothes messy at the colour run (you get your own T-shirt and paint so don’t worry too much) then the Electric Run that is happening in Wembley is perfect for you. It’s a Neon run of 5k that’s pretty much a dance party. It’s hosted at night and the streets are lit up with LCD lights as well as neon paints with a huge party at the end. (Find more out here).

Relax for fuck’s sake

No, its not milk..

Damn, you don’t need to do anything. You’ve spent the whole year working hard for your dissertation and doing countless references and now you need to relax. Take the load off and spend a day in a park or pub, have a Pina Colada and catch up with those you’ve not seen for a while. After all, it is a break.